I would really like to use the WMD Markdown editor for comments on my site. Markdown works great for stories and wiki entries, where it can be set as a default text format. I think Markdown is especially desirable for comments, because most commenters don’t know HTML.
To use Markdown for comments, you must put the following in your template:
The problem is that there is no combination of comment preferences I can find that will result in correct HTML output from Markdown in a comment.
Here’s what you can tweak, as far as I can tell:
* Autolink URL’s and Email: ON/OFF
* HTML accepted: All/Safe/Convert to entities
* Comment text formatting: none/XHTML/</br>
So, there are at least 18 combinations of settings. I tested all that made sense and here is what I found.
1. The only combination that results in all Markdown working is: Autolinking OFF, HTML ALL, Formatting NONE
However, any raw URL’s input in this combination get processed by Markdown and turned into mush if they contain Markdown characters, such as underlines.
2. If I set HTML to “Convert to entities”, All Markdown except blockquote (important for comments) is OK, but URL’s are still processed.
3. In all other combinations of those settings, various Markdown features (blockquotes, links, images, lists) get turned off in what appears to be a pretty arbitrary fashion.
Are there any settings I’m missing, or should I just be waiting for EE to support Markdown in comments way that it does in other fields?