ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

MSM MySql Error 139

September 19, 2011 11:21am

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / Sep 19, 2011 11:21am

premier

35 posts

Hi
    I am getting the following error

Error Number: 1005
    Can’t create table ‘fsfsdf.#sql-728_2b811’ (errno: 139)
    ALTER TABLE `exp_channel_data` ADD `field_id_595` text NULL
    Filename: D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cms.toyota.ie\cms\codeigniter\system\database\DB_driver.php
    Line Number: 330

I noticed that this was discussed at this post and it was mentioned that a solution was to change the default storage engine from InnoDB to MyISAM.
    http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/152288/P0/

I am using MSM and when i create a new site i duplicate the channels. I need to run 55 sites using the MSM and I am at about 15 so far and I have run into the that mysql restriction error. I am concerned that if I change to MyISAM then i will have thousands of columns in the exp_channel_data table. 

So My questions

1: Can i just switch from InnoDB to MyISAM with out anything crashing (windows server)?

2:Will this affect performance having thousands of columns?

3:Is there a better way of setting up the a new site without having to duplicate the channels therefore reducing the number of columns? Each site has the exact same channels but they need to be separated from each other.

4: Can EE MSM handle this many sites

Thanks

• #2 / Sep 19, 2011 9:53pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

premier,

I’m going to escalate your question to our Devs for a clear answer about your concerns.

Cheers,

• #3 / Sep 20, 2011 4:35am

premier

35 posts

Thanks

• #4 / Sep 20, 2011 5:25pm

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

I would switch it to MyISAM given your requirements in this case.  I THINK that would support 50 or so sites w/10-15 fields, though the type of field will result in some variation.

That said- you absolutely want to backup your current database before making any direct change, especially one this far reaching.  And at that point- it’s a matter of doing some ‘ALTER TABLE’s (unless there’s a nice batch way to do it that I don’t know about). 

But yes- backup and be comfortable rolling back is the key step in this process.  Hope that clarifies a bit.

• #5 / Sep 20, 2011 5:37pm

premier

35 posts

Thanks Robin

I ran an alter table engine .... on the channel_data table and everything works fine now
    Some of the fields are dev deamon channel files fields and matrix.
    The rest are the usual text based fields.

Hopefully the database can handle this.

• #6 / Sep 20, 2011 6:00pm

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

I THINK it should- though I’ll grant you, that many sites could start pushing it.  Text/file/matrix only take 2 cols, so that’s of the good.  Keep an eye on it- if anything comes up, let us know!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases