ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Control Panel: Error: Host Not Accessible

October 29, 2007 8:18pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Oct 29, 2007 8:18pm

ricbenson

5 posts

Hi,

I’ve just (re)installed ee 1.6.0 at preciousmedia.net and when I go to the cp login screen, (having input the correct username and password) I get “Error: Host Not Accessible”.

However, I am able to view the front end of the site no problem.

I’ve installed ee many times but never had this problem before. It’s running on a normal linux server.

Please could someone help me with this!

Many Thanks

—-

Further to the above - I clicked on the forgotten password link on the cp login screen. It let me in to the back end, which means the files have uploaded successfully at least.

However I and my client will not be able to access the cp normally which makes the system largely unusable.

Please could I have some help with this strange problem as I have spent $250 on the commercial license and am under pressure to complete the project.

• #2 / Oct 30, 2007 10:16am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

I’m fuzzy on exactly how it’s happening- if you go to the backend login, that comes up ok.  When you put in correct username and password- you get the ‘Error: Host Not Accessible’ message- is this an EE error message or a server error- like a 404?  I don’t think that’s actually an EE error message- I have seen it related to web Accelerator- are you using that?  And have you tried the login on more than one computer?

Lastly- I’m fuzzy on what’s going on with the forgotten password link- if you click it- it sends you a new password- and if you follow the links, you can then login using that new password?  Or- it just shows you the proper screens, but you still can’t actually login?

• #3 / Oct 31, 2007 7:05am

ricbenson

5 posts

Hi Rob,

All good questions. I think the reason why it’s fuzzy is that it’s really weird.
    Here’s what happened:
    1) I get to the login screen where I enter the correct username/pwd.
    2) It gives me a server “Host not accessible” error.
    3) I click the “back” button to get back to the login screen
    4) I click “forgot password” link
    5) It takes me to a screen within the cp which asks for my email. But all the other links to the cp are available as normal! (So I am logged in)
    6) So I click on Templates for example and am able to work normally from there.

Ive just turned off google web accelerator and now, instead of the error screen I just get a completely blank white screen after logging in.

So I directly type one of the other pages in as the URL - ie one which takes me directly to a specific template login screen - where I do have full access.

When I click “Cp Home” I get the same blank screen so it would be fair to say that the cp home page is not working here and that is the problem.

Any ideas?

• #4 / Oct 31, 2007 10:11am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Yep- that’s pretty weird.  I’d be tempted to ask your host.  Do you know if you’re on a windows box?  Could be a matter of it not liking the redirect- could try changing that in ‘Admin- System Prefs- Output and Debug- Redirection Method’.  Not sure why it would give a server error, but that would be worth a try.  See what happens, we’ll go from there.  (Maybe try forcing php errors- there may be one on that white screen.)

• #5 / Oct 31, 2007 10:55am

ricbenson

5 posts

It’s running on linux.

I’ll try the errors route - where should I put my “error_reporting(E_ALL);” code?

Thanks again

• #6 / Oct 31, 2007 11:28am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

It’s the backend- so try it in system/index.php - you’ll spot the

error_reporting(0);

Just switch it to E_ALL.  Also- do you have any extensions installed?  Could be something up with one of them.

• #7 / Nov 02, 2007 8:56pm

ricbenson

5 posts

No extensions installed and no error messages come up - just the same server error message, and just on the cp home page.

• #8 / Nov 02, 2007 9:08pm

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

One thing you could check is to make sure you aren’t using any sort of ip addresses in your config.php file.

Which version/build of EE are you on? You can see that at the bottom of the control panel pages.

• #9 / Nov 03, 2007 1:35pm

ricbenson

5 posts

Im using 1.6.0.

There aren’t any ip addresses in the config.php file.

My client needs access to the cp now so I appreciate your help…

• #10 / Nov 04, 2007 10:12am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

I’ve asked the crew for more ideas.  Only other thing I can think to ask- do you have an htaccess file doing anything?

• #11 / Nov 04, 2007 10:58am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

While I’m still wondering about htaccess- talking with the crew, the consensus is you need to contact your host and ask them why you might be getting a server error on that one page.  Looks like EE is logging you in (hence you can access the other cp pages directly)- but for some reason, the server is not liking the redirect on login.  See if the host has an idea as to why that might be.

• #12 / Nov 04, 2007 2:34pm

ricbenson

5 posts

The plot thickens. I set up a new account for my client - member level, and gave him (restricted) access to the control panel.

This new account has no problems loggin in. So I created a new superadmin account for myself to see if my account was corrupted but it has the same issue as above.

So the good news is that my client is happy but the bad news is that this weird problem persists!

• #13 / Nov 06, 2007 10:37am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

I’m almost wondering if there’s some weird server restriction- didn’t like your email or something.  I’d definitely drop a line to your host- tell them the server error you’re getting and how a change in the member info worked to avoid it in one case.  But not in another case.  Your server is borking on something- the host is going to have the best idea as to what.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases