Thanks for all the help: (I’ve posted this in the community forum as well, as I need as much help as possible)
I’ve now started my first ExpressionEngine project for a training centre’s extranet, where they will tailor content to a specfic company and just wanted to get some Feedback to see if I’m building it the right way, and if anyone else would build it differently.
Site can only be accessed via a login which admin will provide.
There will be one admin person creating all the content, no community interaction yet (but there may be some commenting put in later).
Each client will be given their own URL: e.g.
http://www.myextranet.com/google for google customers
http://www.myextranet.com/yahoo for yahoo customers
Once logged in:
- Will display personalisation welcome message with users name
- Will display supplied content relating to details about the innovation centre
- Will display links to other site pages to include
- Agenda with company specific session details.
- Menu for lunch break
- Documents, area where admin will put pdfs/word docs etc
- Contact/Support page
- Training Centre Information
Front end delegate login
- Simple front end login, tailored to the client
e.g. google would have google’s logo, yahoo would have yahoo’s logo.
- Admin login
- Manage clients and users
- Scheduling seesions for the agenda
- Personalised content per client
- Add, amend and update text content of site
- Upload and manage files
I’ve started by creating TemplateGroups (named google, yahoo etc)
Then have templates for each of the pages e.g. (index, agenda, menu, documents etc)
I have setup Channels for each of those pages e.g. Agenda, Menu, Clients etc)
I then have entries in those channels categorised using the clientname as the category.
It is working in a fashion, but it is starting to get very messy in the backend for the admin person to manage i.e. when they Add a new client, they have to add a new templategroup based on a default group, add a membergroup, add a category etc…
As this is my first ExpressionEngine project, thought I’d get as much help as possible!
Would you have built it this way?
Or is there a better way to build it?
Any help much appeciated,