ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

File Manager workflows after upgrading to EE2

April 16, 2012 2:47pm

Subscribe [1]
  • #1 / Apr 16, 2012 2:47pm

danieljohnbarnes

151 posts

I’ve reluctantly upgraded a site to EE2 from EE1 and am working through the changes, one of them being the differences to File Manager.

In EE1 I could:

Setup an upload destination of say /images/directory/
    Create sub directories using FTP e.g. /images/directory/1/ and /images/directory/2/
    Upload files to those sub-sub directories
    Click the “File Upload” button on the new or edit entry page, access the file browser and see/select files in both the /images/directory/ and /images/directory/1/ and /images/directory/2/ paths.

In EE2 it doesn’t appear this is possible. The new File Manager seems to completely replace that system with the synchronized files, but crucially, you cannot synchronise files in a sub directory.

That means I either need to have an extra file upload destination for ../1/ and ../2/ etc, or move to a flat structure for those files.

Am I missing something obvious? I would expect a “include files in sub directories” button in the sync page, but I cannot see anyway round this.

It’s far from the end of the world, but seems odd given the focus the File Manager seems to have had in recent releases.

Thanks

• #2 / Apr 17, 2012 12:00pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hi Daniel,

I’ve reluctantly upgraded a site to EE2 from EE1 and am working through the changes, one of them being the differences to File Manager.

That’s a big step, welcome aboard! I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the differences in EE 1 & 2.

Am I missing something obvious? I would expect a “include files in sub directories” button in the sync page, but I cannot see anyway round this.

No, you are not missing anything at all. This is, indeed, the current behavior of the File Manager in ExpressionEngine 2. The most popular way around it seems to be using Pixel & Tonic’s Assets.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Cheers,

• #3 / Apr 18, 2012 3:58am

danieljohnbarnes

151 posts

No, you are not missing anything at all. This is, indeed, the current behavior of the File Manager in ExpressionEngine 2. The most popular way around it seems to be using Pixel & Tonic’s Assets.

Cheers

Ouch! How is an upgraded File Manager in an upgraded version of EE not offering sub-directory support (a.k.a backwards compatibility) or at least the legacy option.

Other than a $55 dollar add-on, are there at least plans to address this in the core product? I am sure Assets is great, but I do not need 99% of its functionality.

Thanks Dan, I realise this is not your doing, but, frustrating… 😊

• #4 / Apr 20, 2012 11:15am

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hey Daniel,

I don’t know what’s on the roadmap, but you can always chime in with a Feature Request!

Assets is great if you need it, but yes, a bit onerous just to enable sub folders.

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases