ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Domain+Sub Domain, professional web presence - which licence?

March 08, 2012 12:34pm

Subscribe [2]
  • #1 / Mar 08, 2012 12:34pm

Rave

5 posts

Hi,

I am a sole trader and have a professional web presence hosted with streamline.net.

I have a standard website, and a log-in extranet for clients on a sub domain:
    -mydomain.com
    -extranet.mydomain.com

If I buy a licence for EE, will I need to get a Commercial Licence with Multiple Site Manager?  Or, could I buy x2 Freelancer licences?  Or is it something else I would need?

I assume I would need to buy a second hosting package with Streamline, but thought I would ask about your side first.

Thanks in advance,
    Rave

• #2 / Mar 08, 2012 2:41pm

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hello Rave,

Welcome to the forums!

You will need a license for each live website. If your domain is the only website that is live, then just one license would work. What is running behind the login for your extranet? It is just a login to access an internal network?

It sounds like you just need one commercial license.

Just for reference. You only need MSM if you want to administrate several ExpressionEngine website, in that case each ExpressionEngine website would need it’s own license.

Also, each account is only allowed one freelancer license.

Does that help? Please let me know if you have any questions. I am here to help you figure out how ExpressionEngine can work for you.

Cheers,

• #3 / Mar 09, 2012 5:44am

Rave

5 posts

Thanks for the response Shane.

You will need a license for each live website. If your domain is the only website that is live, then just one license would work. What is running behind the login for your extranet? It is just a login to access an internal network?

The extranet is for prospective clients to log into when I run telephone demonstrations of my service.  It explains the service in more detail than I want on the main website.  It’s really just an extension of the main, public facing website, using a slightly different template (but only very slightly).

Just for reference. You only need MSM if you want to administrate several ExpressionEngine website, in that case each ExpressionEngine website would need it’s own license.

Also, each account is only allowed one freelancer license.

So from what you’re saying, it sounds like buying x2 freelancer licences is never an option in any circumstances, which makes sense.

The question is whether my extranet constitutes a unique website?

I would be more than happy to spend two minutes on the phone with someone at EE to show them my main website and extranet so I can find out which licences I need. 

Or I can email through the details?

• #4 / Mar 09, 2012 10:32am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Rave,

I appreciate your desire to make sure you are licensed correctly. These are great questions.

If the Extranet site is an extension of the main site, and you actually mentioned using a different template which in ExpressionEngine terms is exactly what you would do, then you only have one Live Site. From a practical standpoint you could create a template or even a new template group/template with the login screen and be done.

Just to further clarify, it’s not a matter of a unique site, it’s how many live ExpressionEngine websites are there. You would not need a whole new domain just to present a login.

You are correct, you would be limited to just one freelancer license.

Does that help? Is there anything else I can help with?

Cheers!

• #5 / Mar 09, 2012 12:01pm

Rave

5 posts

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Just to further clarify, it’s not a matter of a unique site, it’s how many live ExpressionEngine websites are there. You would not need a whole new domain just to present a login.

I’m just checking because when viewing:
    http://expressionengine.com/overview/pricing
    ...and then following the link:
    http://expressionengine.com/downloads/details/multiple_site_manager/
    ...I wasn’t 100% sure based on the content on this page whether EE would work with my current setup (mydomain.com + extranet.mydomain.com) without the ‘Multiple Site Manager’ module.

So as long as a single freelancer licence can cope with my setup, then it sounds like I am good to give EE a trial?

• #6 / Mar 09, 2012 12:36pm

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hello,

If you are using a subdomain for a second website then yes, you will need a second license. Because for each live site you must have a license.

MSM is optional. If you want to control both websites from the same Control Panel and reuse Channels and such then MSM is a good option.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

• #7 / Mar 12, 2012 8:49am

Rave

5 posts

Thanks.

• #8 / Mar 12, 2012 10:18am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hey Rave,

No problem! Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you,

• #9 / Mar 12, 2012 11:25am

Rave

5 posts

No thanks, I think you can close this now.

• #10 / Mar 12, 2012 11:26am

Shane Eckert

7174 posts

Hello Rave,

Awesome.

Thank you again for your interest. If you need anything else down the line, please let me know!

Cheers,

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases