ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

ExpressionEngine Reactor: For Developers by Developers

November 18, 2011 12:01pm

Subscribe [13]
  • #1 / Nov 18, 2011 12:01pm

Leslie Camacho

1340 posts

It’s our pleasure to formally introduce the ExpressionEngine Reactor team to the Community. In a nutshell, the EE Reactor team is a group of devs who can contribute directly to ExpressionEngine using a system modeled off Open Source contributions. For EllisLab, it is modeled from the CodeIgniter Reactor team. We’ll go into more detail about what EE Reactor is but first let’s meet the team.

Continue reading…

• #2 / Nov 18, 2011 12:51pm

Neil Evans

1403 posts

Looking like a great team to me - many might have hoped for Brandon too - but i personally think this list will be a huge turning point for the future of EE and how i use it. I emphasise that i think it will really suit my type of projects and development, hence it is great for me - others might not be so suited!!

Keen for updates and progression info on this. Although i appreciate it to be time consuming i really thnk it would be of value to the community.

• #3 / Nov 18, 2011 1:02pm

iain

317 posts

Awesome. Awesome.

Awesome.

• #4 / Nov 18, 2011 1:22pm

eyelidlessness

1 posts

This is really awesome news. I think it shows that EllisLabs has a different culture than most commercial software companies, and as a developer I find that very encouraging.

• #5 / Nov 18, 2011 1:59pm

cjorgensen

393 posts

Ryan Masuga is conspicuously absent.

Obviously not every EE rockstar can be included, and he may have declined, but I’m surprised to not see his name.

This is exciting to me. Even if nothing more comes of this than the developers working in conjunction with EE. This will mean a deeper understanding of the product for them and that translates into more blog posts and discussions of EE.

And I found out there was a newsletter!

• #6 / Nov 18, 2011 2:20pm

Leslie Camacho

1340 posts

Ryan Masuga is conspicuously absent.

Obviously not every EE rockstar can be included, and he may have declined, but I’m surprised to not see his name.

This is exciting to me. Even if nothing more comes of this than the developers working in conjunction with EE. This will mean a deeper understanding of the product for them and that translates into more blog posts and discussions of EE.

And I found out there was a newsletter!

We have numerous devs interested in participating. But in order to do this right, we needed to start small. Originally we were going to keep it to four, but a couple extras snuck in. Once we have at least one release out with contributions, we’ll assess how we can expand. We’re guessing the “lieutenant model” is going to work best, so we’re already setup up for that internally. What this means is that once we’re satisfied with work flow (and other issues related to contribution), theoretically any dev could contribute to EE, whether they are on Reactor or not. I think we’re a ways from this, but if it works, that would be the end goal.

The article doesn’t say it, but I should publicly note that our own Wes Baker and Derek Jones are the ones responsible for making this work internally. DJ takes care of all the non-technically logistics and managing our tool set and Wes is spearheading it from our dev team side, making sure we’re talking with the Reactor group regularly, reviewing code, etc… It would not be happening without them.

Once things are settled more internally we’ll have Wes share how things are setup.

• #7 / Nov 18, 2011 2:30pm

Nathan Pitman

531 posts

This means we might finally get those hooks back that we’ve been banging on about for ages right? 😊

If there was a reactor team for UI then I would love to be a part of it.

• #8 / Nov 19, 2011 6:54am

Laisvunas

879 posts

This means we might finally get those hooks back that we’ve been banging on about for ages right? 😊

If there was a reactor team for UI then I would love to be a part of it.

Spot on.

I still have several dozens of add-ons still unported to EE2 because of missing hooks.

Would like to join EE Reactor as soon as possible.

• #9 / Nov 20, 2011 8:16pm

wbdzynr

137 posts

Wow - this is very exciting!  Hats off to the devs - all are great names.  And thanks to EE for allowing this to happen!

• #10 / Nov 21, 2011 7:44am

danieljohnbarnes

151 posts

This is great, kudos to all involved and for EE for giving it the green light.

The eternal pessimist in me reads the dev focus as a slight negative as there is so much first party stuff that needs addressing, before a slew of more third party hassle, but it’s certainly a plus.

• #11 / Nov 21, 2011 9:43am

Sean C. Smith

3818 posts

Am so looking forward to seeing what the Reactor Team does. Exciting times are here.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases