ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

EECI Studio Live Site

June 07, 2011 4:48pm

Subscribe [4]
  • #1 / Jun 07, 2011 4:48pm

Peter Fisk

3 posts

EECI Studio (EECIS) now has its own site powered by ExpressionEngine on the server and ExtJs/4 JavaScript in the browser.

http://eecistudio.com

This site was created using only EECIS itself.

There is a live “desktop” panel where you can open “windows” to browse through the EE template database. Also, there is a “project” browser which presents entries from an EE channel.

Attached is an image from the site.

• #2 / Jun 11, 2011 12:12am

duckdonald

1 posts

thanks

• #3 / Sep 12, 2011 2:45pm

luke holder

71 posts

EECI Studio (EECIS) now has its own site powered by ExpressionEngine on the server and ExtJs/4 JavaScript in the browser.

http://eecistudio.com

This site was created using only EECIS itself.

There is a live “desktop” panel where you can open “windows” to browse through the EE template database. Also, there is a “project” browser which presents entries from an EE channel.

Attached is an image from the site.

a bit of feedback:

this thing is ugly and confusing. I don’t know what it is, and i don’t know how it would ever help me create websites.

• #4 / Sep 12, 2011 5:45pm

Peter Fisk

3 posts

Hi Luke,

a bit of feedback:
    this thing is ugly and confusing. I don’t know what it is, and i don’t know how it would ever help me create websites.

I will give you a bit of feedback on your feedback.

This was a “proof of concept” exercise to see if EE’s scripting language could generate a site using Sencha’s ExtJs 4.0 libraries.

I built the site in a few hours using only EE scripting. So, EE is capable of doing this but not in a very elegant way.

As for the “ugly” qualifier - I am a software engineer and not an artist. I was attempting to modify the standard ExtJs style sheets to change the look. As I said above, a proof-of-concept exercise.

To see some more elegant ExtJs samples go to this site:
    http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-0/#!/example

Expression Engine seems to be good for “simple” sites. By that I mean not “data rich”.

The two client sites that I am working on right now are:

1) an online data entry system for patient Medicare, physician, history, and insurance data
    35 MySql tables of up to 30 columns each

2) an Internet telephone managment system for configuration, routing, billing and client profile
    52 MySql tables of up 70 columns each

The back-end on both these systems in CodeIgniter, which I truly admire.

But Expression Engine would be completely useless for both of these applications because it’s jQuery interface just doesn’t have the sophistication to support complex data interaction.

What I was trying to do with the demo was show that EE could be used with ExtJs as well.

To me a “beautiful” application is one that works well - ExtJs is “beautiful” in this sense.

With EE you can certainly make “pretty” applications and you can make “big” applications.

But for “complex” or “data rich” applications, EE is woefully lacking.

BTW, an example of this is the EE “control panel” which IMHO is complete crap.

I have developed some automated tools based on CodeIgniter and Clojure Lisp for rapidly developing and deploying ExtJs apps. Perhaps I will post a link at some point.

Some applications are “pretty” with simple user interactions.
    And others have “functional” styling with very complex user interactions.

I mostly build the second type - I wasn’t (mainly) concerned about making the demo “pretty”.

—Peter

• #5 / Sep 12, 2011 6:00pm

Focus Lab Dev Team

1129 posts

But for “complex” or “data rich” applications, EE is woefully lacking.

We’ve come across some projects that I would classify as data-rich and each time I’ve referred them elsewhere simply because I didn’t think EE was a good fit. So while I don’t necessary agree with the word “lacking” - I definitely agree that EE isn’t built for those types of applications.

But Expression Engine would be completely useless for both of these applications because it’s jQuery interface just doesn’t have the sophistication to support complex data interaction.

Curious - are you referring to the EE Control Panel here?

• #6 / Sep 12, 2011 7:24pm

luke holder

71 posts

I understand this is not meant to be a completed product.

Why are you building a complex application on ee? It is a content management system - designed for publishing and ease of page design using a template system.

It feels as if you are over using too many technologies to accomplish something ee was not designed for.

I think you best bet would be to look at integrating extjs on top of codeigniter or rails for application development. What was the supposed benefit of blending in ee?

• #7 / Sep 13, 2011 2:43pm

Peter Fisk

3 posts

Why are you building a complex application on ee? It is a content management system - designed for publishing and ease of page design using a template system.

It feels as if you are over using too many technologies to accomplish something ee was not designed for.

I think you best bet would be to look at integrating extjs on top of codeigniter or rails for application development. What was the supposed benefit of blending in ee?

Over the past three years, I have built several projects using ExtJs and both CodeIgniter and Python/Django.

My interest in EE was to allow clients the ability to create customized content within some of these ExtJs sites.

EE’s templating system and “channels” are ideal for this purpose.

The EE generated HTML is simply posted within an ExtJs content panel.

And it all integrates without any problems.

This is the simplest set of tools for the required purpose - ie CMS content within a data-rich site.

—Peter

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases