ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Concerns about lack of Photo Gallery in EE 2

July 23, 2010 1:51pm

Subscribe [21]
  • #16 / Apr 19, 2011 7:53pm

pirco

218 posts

I certainly could use a new gallery module right now… and I doubt that a new module is anywhere near development. As much as I love EE, this is certainly more than a bummer. It reminds me of apple discontinuing FW400. but at least there was a better alternative already available!

• #17 / Apr 19, 2011 8:27pm

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

• #18 / Jun 12, 2011 3:45am

greebo

4 posts

Any update on this? I am hoping to create a multi user image gallery in ee2 soon and would love to have this prebuilt.

• #19 / Jun 13, 2011 5:41pm

Jods

2 posts

I would also love to hear an update on this. Is there any sort of planned timeline?

• #20 / Jun 14, 2011 10:21am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

The 2.2 release is planned for this month- which means most of the core architecture for importing 1.x galleries will be in place.  That means file information is now stored in the database and we’ve added a new File module that allows you to display the information independent of channels using frontend tags (a la gallery tags).

The actual import of gallery entries won’t happen this release.  We’ve got two significant additions that need to happen first: First, the comment module needs to be abstracted so we can easily add comments to whatever we want to- because we’ll need to import and allow commenting on files in order to import gallery comments.  And we don’t want those comments to be so separated from channel comments like they are in the 1.x gallery.  Second, we’ve got some conceptual issues (and then code issues) to work out with regard to how to handle subfolders.  This is particularly important to the gallery import given that galleries could have subfolders created for categories.  (Gallery relationships also need some thought.)

It’s planned that the 2.3 release will see us able to actually import the 1.x galleries and provide all existing gallery functionality.  And hopefully 2.2 will give us some feedback on how we can add significantly to what we had in 1.x.

I know it’s taking a while, but we want to get this one right.  Rather than a separate module that didn’t always get a lot of attention, file handling is going to be core to EE.  That’s taking us more time, but should pay off in the end.

Hope that clarifies things a bit!

• #21 / Jun 16, 2011 12:13pm

Jose B

313 posts

Yes! Doing Snoopy Dance!

• #22 / Jun 16, 2011 2:32pm

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Yay, snoopy dance!

I’m hoping we’ll all be very pleased with the file handling once all is said and done.  The gallery in 1.x gave us a lot of insight into what folks need and that’s going to make the core much stronger in 2.x.

When 2.3 is out?  I’ll join you in the Snoopy dance!

• #23 / Aug 01, 2011 10:06am

parrots

38 posts

It’s great to hear galleries are being worked on for the next release!

What does the EE team recommend devs do in the mean time? I assume 2.3 will be a ~6 month release after 2.2 (about the time from 2.1->2.2). I was planning on manually setting something up using channels, but now I’m weary to go that route since official gallery support is coming. Is it worth going that route and then manually migrating later? Is there anything that can be done now with a manual setup to make for an easier transition to galleries when they come out?

• #24 / Aug 02, 2011 3:24pm

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

2.3 is looking to be out end of Aug/beginning of Sept.  That said- the full gallery functionality has been moved to 2.4, which should be another 2 months after 2.3.  (We shoot for 2 months plus a week or so of testing/prep.)

The biggest issues holding back using current functionality for a gallery is the lack of fields for the meta-data and the lack of ability to add comments to files.  But these may be deal breakers for using it as a pure gallery for now.  I think it would depend on the kind of data you need to have for your images/files.  If you can currently get by with the available ‘caption’ field (and categories), I’d be tempted to just use the file manager and display the files via the file module.

If not?  I always put files in as entries in a ‘media’ channel.  So that’s still a valid option.  I know others have used matrix to setup multiple images/files in a single entry.  Neither will easily import/export to the files, though.  I think it just depends on the individual requirements and time constraints.

• #25 / Aug 13, 2011 2:33pm

digigumball

37 posts

I’m looking for a gallery feature right now (checks limited bank account),  that will provide an Etsy-gallery like, http://www.etsy.com/  1 large photo with related smaller thumb-nails, description line, meta-data for search, and some-kind of “like”, “heart” or comment functionality.

This is a site requirement….any suggestions? or testimonies?

Thank you in advance!

• #26 / Sep 06, 2011 9:20pm

JohanD

59 posts

Hi Robin,

What’s the current status? Can’t wait.

Thanks 😊

• #27 / Sep 20, 2011 2:43am

JohanD

59 posts

2.3 is looking to be out end of Aug/beginning of Sept.

Any update on a release date for 2.3?

• #28 / Mar 20, 2012 1:37pm

scottmey

15 posts

I’m also desperately seeking some resolution to this matter. Has anyone had any luck with third-party (not EE) approaches? Utilizing S3 or some other photo management software that can tie into ExpressionEngines member accounts? I really have to find a workaround to the Safecracker/Channel Images (images tied to entries) approach, as this will just create 10’s of thousands of entries.

Yelp!

Cheers,
    Scott

• #29 / Apr 05, 2012 10:03am

Florian Hodel

1 posts

It’s planned that the 2.3 release will see us able to actually import the 1.x galleries and provide all existing gallery functionality.

I recently made an upgrade from 1.7.1 to 2.4.0. But I have some trouble with the gallery. Can you explain me how to port gallery to the new version?

• #30 / Jul 18, 2012 9:29am

mysitesrock

2 posts

Held out as long as I could… does anyone have a 1.x gallery solution? (Really not looking forward to remaking this client’s photo gallery from scratch… about 1k photos)

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases