ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Beat Facebook?

October 23, 2010 12:29am

Subscribe [13]
  • #1 / Oct 23, 2010 12:29am

bmovie

619 posts

well I remember 1 year ago I use myspace… now I dont use myspace… facebook grow in amazing way… you think that any other thing can be beat facebook? any malevolous geeks minds work right now in the facebook killer?

links or others projects that show like a great future?

I see the facebook source code and wow!!! what is that!!! wtf hahaha a lot strange code to me… ruby on rails with js? encrypt? just a extract

'j4cc2557bf103d77322005209'));","JSCC.get('j4cc2557bf103d773220052010').init($(\"fbDockChatBuddylistNub\"), $(\"fbDockChatTabSlider\"));","Dock.registerTogglerGroup($(\"fbDockChatTabSlider\"));\nDock.registerTogglerGroup($(\"fbDockChatBuddylistNub\"), {\"sticky\":0});"],"onafterload":[],"onpagecache":[],"onafterpagecache":[],"refresh_pagelets":[],"invalidate_cache":[],"content":{"pagelet_presence":"<div id=\"c4cc2557d012828204730023\"><iframe class=\"hidden_elem\" id=\"u428500_10\"><\/iframe><div id=\"presence\" class=\"hidden_elem\"><\/div><div class=\"fbDockWrapper fbDockWrapperBottom fbDockWrapperRight\" id=\"u428500_11\"><div class=\"fbDock clearfix\"><div class=\"clearfix rNubContainer\"><div class=\"fbNubGroup clearfix\" id=\"fbDockChat\"><div class=\"fbNubGroup clearfix hide_on_popped_out\" id=\"fbDockChatTabSlider\"><div class=\"fbNub hidden_elem next\"><a ><span class=\"arrow\"><\/span><span class=\"numTabs\"><\/span><span class=\"numMessages\"><\/span><\/a><\/div><div class=\"fbNubGroup clearfix\" id=\"fbDockChatTabsWrapper\"><div class=\"fbNubGroup clearfix\" id=\"fbDockChatTabs\"><\/div><\/div><div class=\"fbNub hidd

why facebook is facebook, because the guy that create a unique code! ? or is just create the best way to look! a social network, because I ALWAYS hate!!! myspace, is the most ugly thing that I ever see in my life.

so well just questions to me… I try to create a simple web site community in codeigniter, well who knows that can be a good thing 😉

comments?

• #2 / Oct 26, 2010 11:54am

Jamie Poitra

409 posts

I’m pretty sure Facebook’s backend is all written in PHP with lots of Memcached stuff keeping the SQL servers from going down. 

The weird looking stuff you’re seeing is just Javascript stuff that pulls the data into the page.

How Facebook actually pulls in content and stuff like that has actually changed quite a bit over time continually using more and more Javascript and I strongly doubt Zuckerberg personally coded much of the more recent stuff.  Facebook is a big company now with lots of employees.

Facebook is Facebook because it came at the right time and they made some smart decisions which made it feel like a safer, friendlier, easier to navigate version of MySpace.

Jamie

• #3 / Oct 26, 2010 11:56am

Jamie Poitra

409 posts

And seriously, how many time can a person say stuff?

Jamie

• #4 / Oct 26, 2010 5:32pm

handyman

509 posts

Prediction - Facebook will be old news in a couple years…...you heard it here first!

Hey, Friendster was big too. How about AOL? What about AltaVista?

Facebook was lucky. Luck runs out. My advice - don’t buy stock in FB if and when they do their IPO.

• #5 / Oct 26, 2010 5:37pm

bmovie

619 posts

And seriously, how many time can a person say stuff?

Jamie

hahaha, thanks

• #6 / Oct 26, 2010 5:44pm

bmovie

619 posts

Prediction - Facebook will be old news in a couple years…...you heard it here first!

Hey, Friendster was big too. How about AOL? What about AltaVista?

Facebook was lucky. Luck runs out. My advice - don’t buy stock in FB if and when they do their IPO.

I think the same… Interesting see how worth Altavista today and how worth in old days…

I think soon a lot “facebooks” comes… a lot sites offering social media etc… by example I hate use facebook, I dont like waste my time putting stupid comments and videos etc… if facebook pay me for publish content is other thing… but I know people like be addict to facebook, is a waste of life… that people make rich the facebook owners.

I think soon will be exist a lot social sites around and not just one big…

One thing that I see that dont exist STRONG is a only ID! for people, like have a google id and connect in ALL sites with that ID, exist some but not a strong, the most strong that I see is facebook connect.

well I have in mind make some social network about “audiophiles” world… everything involve with that, just focus in that people… like a experiment… any can help? hehe

• #7 / Oct 26, 2010 11:16pm

Viewcaster

4 posts

I agree that they (Facebook) will eventually run their course. I don’t think social networking is going anywhere, just like search didn’t disappear when AltaVista, Lycos, etc. diminished. They were replaced by someone (Google) who kept their eye on the search ball vs. attempting to make a “everything but the kitchen sink” site. Listening Zuck? People interested in the root benefits of social media will tire of the clutter, especially when given an alternative.

• #8 / Nov 03, 2010 4:40pm

bmovie

619 posts

I agree that they (Facebook) will eventually run their course. I don’t think social networking is going anywhere, just like search didn’t disappear when AltaVista, Lycos, etc. diminished. They were replaced by someone (Google) who kept their eye on the search ball vs. attempting to make a “everything but the kitchen sink” site. Listening Zuck? People interested in the root benefits of social media will tire of the clutter, especially when given an alternative.

haha true, but well Zuck with that fortune $ can create other projects on the road, a lucky smart guy.

• #9 / Nov 09, 2010 2:30pm

silke1505

2 posts

Yeah it is weird how facebook stormed past all these other social networks. I mean it wasnt the first. It just added a lot of interaction. (Maybe somebody should check if IN-Q-TEL is connected to facebook…its a CIA front company 😉 and would make sense….

• #10 / Nov 11, 2010 9:29am

John Macpherson

113 posts

Convinced that privacy is going to be bring it down.

I’m not on it and never have been, i don’t think its a good way to “manage” friends.

Each to their own but not for me.

• #11 / Nov 30, 2010 10:53am

rokker

179 posts

I know more and more friends/coworkers who decided to quit Facebook for various reasons, but mostly because FB is the most unprofessional network. As opposed to linkedin for instance, FB is not the place where you can get a work permit or just get in touch job with recruiters.

if it gets “professional” like that, i’ll quit FB!

• #12 / Nov 30, 2010 1:46pm

lebisol

2234 posts

I know more and more friends/coworkers who decided to quit Facebook for various reasons, but mostly because FB is the most unprofessional network. As opposed to linkedin for instance, FB is not the place where you can get a work permit or just get in touch job with recruiters.

if it gets “professional” like that, i’ll quit FB!

Much like “Legos” FB became a business long time ago. 😊

Around Y2K bug time…I was helping someone spell out google as a new cool search engine to try…AOL is not gone,MySpace is not gone, FB will not be gone just simply less relevant.

Tables have turned and what is keeping these apps (Social and SaS in general) popular is the return of the hardware race through mobile devices and portability or in business world known as ‘productivity’.
    IMHO of course.

• #13 / Dec 01, 2010 2:51pm

Roi Agneta

352 posts

I agree with Lebisol.  Social networking is a phenomenon that will not go away, but will continue to morph as devices and platforms offer new opportunities for interaction.  And, absolutely, it is a business - no such thing as a free lunch!

• #14 / Dec 02, 2010 12:17pm

Jeremy Bise

77 posts

No, it’ll never ever go away.  It’s been a pretty transformative (is that a word?) thing for many businesses and other businesses have been built on top of helping companies leverage it.  It will just continue to shape and reshape based on how people use it.

It’s interesting and amusing to me how Google keeps trying to get in on the action.  Orkut isn’t popular in the US.  Buzz is annoying (to me at least).  And then this article was in my feed reader yesterday—Google dogfooding a “Facebook Killer”:

http://www.allfacebook.com/anonymous-source-google-actively-dogfooding-facebook-killer-2010-12

• #15 / Jan 31, 2011 10:12am

Step 2 Media

1 posts

I think if google wants to be part of the action it has to make a google social web-overlay. That makes social netwering being able wherever you are on the web.

So you dont need another website for it. The power of google is that most people use it IN there workflow and not next to there workflow. So If they want to be part of the action they need to come with something similar to google search. And make it posible to share and making contact with friends within the workflow people using the internet.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases