ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

EE 2.1 Photo Gallery WITHOUT Channel Images add-on?

July 19, 2010 11:21am

Subscribe [4]
  • #1 / Jul 19, 2010 11:21am

digitalformula

176 posts

Hi all,

Firstly, I know the EE Photo Gallery module was removed from EE2 - that’s fine, I’m not worried about that.  I would still like a photo gallery, though.

Has anyone had any success doing this in EE2 *without* using add-ons like Channel Images?  I’m sure it can be done with EE channels but I’ve only been able to show a single image per entry - pretty useless for a gallery.

I’m keen to try Channel Images at some stage but not yet - EE must be able to do this natively somehow (and I’ve already paid for EE 2.1 anyway).

I’m interested to hear how anyone else has done this, if it’s been made to work so far.

Thanks!  😊

• #2 / Jul 19, 2010 11:37am

Super McFly

90 posts

There are many ways to create a gallery but I’ll start off with two.

The simplest option is create a channel called “images” and a category group called “gallery”. Just make each gallery/album a new sub-category and assign the image to it.

You could also create two channels: “image” and “gallery”. Have an entry relationship field (I don’t remember the actual name because I don’t use EE anymore) to the gallery channel. Each gallery, as you’d expect, represents a gallery. Use the relationship / reverse relationship tags to get the images in the gallery.

I’m not sure how familiar you are with EE terminology so just ask for a clarification on what you don’t understand.

• #3 / Jul 19, 2010 11:43pm

digitalformula

176 posts

Hi there - thanks for your reply.

The first option is basically what I’ve done already but I stopped pursuing that method because of the lack of a way to upload multiple images into a single gallery.  Having a sub-category for each individual image seems quite counter-productive to me and would surely take a REALLY long time if I have a gallery of many hundreds of images.  I might have missed the way to do multiple images in a single entry and I’d be happy to hear how to do that, ifit is possible.

The entry relationship field option isn’t something I’ve looked at yet but I’ll be doing that soon.  😊

Thanks

• #4 / Jul 20, 2010 12:54am

Manuel Payano

144 posts

To be honest you won’t find a real “easy” solution using built-in EE tools.

For once, if you want to upload multiple images at once you need to create multiple Upload fields. (i am not sure if the Upload fieldtype can re-size the image on the fly. Correct me if i am wrong tho.)

You could use nGen File Field, but that’s for EE1.6 only: http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/ngen-file/
    I don’t see another easy way of uploading multiple images and resizing them on the fly.

Or Simple S3 Uploader: http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/simple-s3-uploader/
    But that only does Amazon S3

This one would be maybe what is viable: http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/ff-matrix-bulk-multiple-upload/ (i think it works on EE2, since it uses Matrix 2, http://pixelandtonic.com/matrix, which works on EE2)

I am happy to hear other people’s thoughts/ideas.

DISCLAIMER: I work for DevDemon, creators of Channel Images

• #5 / Jul 20, 2010 12:57am

digitalformula

176 posts

Hi DevDemon,

Cheers for your info - you’ve answered a number of things I’ve been wondering about up till now.

As I said in the original post I’d be interested in trying Channel Images some time but it’d be great if there was a trial version I could try first.  Also, are there demo sites that you guys have created or that others have created that use Channel Images?  So far I’ve only found screenshots of the control panel pages.  😊

Thanks again.

• #6 / Jul 20, 2010 1:12am

Manuel Payano

144 posts

There is always a money back guaranteed if it doesn’t suit your needs.

There are numerous sites we have built using Channel Images, but most of our clients wanted a easy way to add images to entries.

But with some creativity and using categories/relations if you want. You could create a gallery using Channel Images. It might not give you absolute control about how you want to organize things (it’s not a dedicated gallery.).

• #7 / Nov 04, 2010 9:57pm

kempes

53 posts

Hey digital formula,

I am struggling with the same issue, have u found an option yet?

Thanks

• #8 / Nov 04, 2010 10:09pm

digitalformula

176 posts

Hey digital formula,

I am struggling with the same issue, have u found an option yet?

Thanks

Nope.  My requirements changed a bit so I haven’t tried again since then but I’m still interested in finding a way to do it without a paid plugin.

I know with EE it should be relatively simple to create a custom gallery using a dedicated channel but I couldn’t make it work without too much messing about back when I tried it.

What have you tried so far?

• #9 / Nov 05, 2010 12:24am

kempes

53 posts

Well, i didn’t try anything as yet. I was theorizing as to how it would work. I guess I would have to find another solution. Post your full method for me. I would really appreciate it.

• #10 / Nov 05, 2010 2:13am

digitalformula

176 posts

Well, i didn’t try anything as yet. I was theorizing as to how it would work. I guess I would have to find another solution. Post your full method for me. I would really appreciate it.

My full method?  If I had one I’d be happy to share it but as I said above, I couldn’t make it work without too much messing around ... sorry.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases