ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Concerns about lack of Photo Gallery in EE 2

July 23, 2010 1:51pm

Subscribe [21]
  • #1 / Jul 23, 2010 1:51pm

contamine

11 posts

Can anyone direct me to any examples of gallery add-ons for EE 2+ that offer easy conversion from the old native Photo Gallery module and a similar general ease of use for clients?

I have built several sites for clients that heavily featured the Photo Gallery module and am hoping to allow my clients to keep their EE software current while protecting them from large unexpected porting costs.

Many thanks!

• #2 / Jul 23, 2010 1:53pm

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

Hi, contamine -

There is not currently a way to convert the old Photo Gallery to any of the new possibilities.

Right now if you are making heavy use of the photo gallery, it is best to stay on EE 1.

Thank you.

• #3 / Jul 23, 2010 4:28pm

contamine

11 posts

Ouch!

Forgive me if I am not looking at this correctly but as I said I have built several sites using EE which have heavily featured the native Photo Gallery module of EE versions prior to 2.0. The Photo Gallery module and its extreme ease of use for clients was one of my selling points for encouraging clients to go with EE.

Now, however, it sounds like I will have to explain to my clients (5 websites total) that in order to keep their EE software up to date we will have the job of porting their galleries with hundreds of photos each to a new format. With that being the case my clients will either have to shell out $$ for a porting project or stay locked in to a slowly aging software product even though the cost of their license grants them access to updates and discounted upgrades. This was not something I had prepared my clients for, nor does it seem to honor the investment they made in the EE platform.

Please pardon my disappointment. I am a huge fan of EE but this is most certainly a bummer!

Any suggestions?

• #4 / Jul 23, 2010 4:34pm

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

Hi, contamine -

As I said, this is something that we’re working on; we just don’t have it yet.  My recommendation right now is to wait; EE 1.x is still supported and will receive bug fixes and security updates.  There is no need to rush on to EE 2 right now if you have a compelling reason (as you do) to stay on EE 1.

• #5 / Jul 23, 2010 6:04pm

contamine

11 posts

Ah, sorry, it wasn’t quite clear that conversion is something that’s in the works.

As Gilda Radner used to say, “never mind.”

• #6 / Jul 23, 2010 6:21pm

Lisa Wess

20502 posts

No worries, sorry I was not clearer.

Thank you for understanding!

• #7 / Sep 30, 2010 12:13pm

SurfTasmania

54 posts

Ouch!

Forgive me if I am not looking at this correctly but as I said I have built several sites using EE which have heavily featured the native Photo Gallery module of EE versions prior to 2.0. The Photo Gallery module and its extreme ease of use for clients was one of my selling points for encouraging clients to go with EE.

Now, however, it sounds like I will have to explain to my clients (5 websites total) that in order to keep their EE software up to date we will have the job of porting their galleries with hundreds of photos each to a new format. With that being the case my clients will either have to shell out $$ for a porting project or stay locked in to a slowly aging software product even though the cost of their license grants them access to updates and discounted upgrades. This was not something I had prepared my clients for, nor does it seem to honor the investment they made in the EE platform.

Please pardon my disappointment. I am a huge fan of EE but this is most certainly a bummer!

Any suggestions?

I think this is very well put and highlights a serious issue still unresolved.

How do I justify to partners and clients our investment in the EE platform when basic functionality has been removed in an update and the statements made about “solutions” and the significant time that has elapsed indicates nothing but complete uncertainty?

Have I missed something?

• #8 / Oct 01, 2010 1:25am

Arbinshire

42 posts

Isn’t it a bit telling that there are an assortment of people asking about the gallery module? Are the devs lazy, do they not like images, are they coming out with a pay gallery module? Seriously, what’s the deal.

• #9 / Oct 01, 2010 3:35am

Ingmar

29245 posts

Isn’t it a bit telling that there are an assortment of people asking about the gallery module?

Given the number of licenses in general? I wouldn’t think so, no.

Are the devs lazy, do they not like images, are they coming out with a pay gallery module? Seriously, what’s the deal.

People have been using the Weblog module for the galleries a lot, certainly for anything but the simplest projects. The only reason not to was the image manipulation features of the Gallery module. An enhanced version of these has been built into EE 2. We simply suggest you use the Channel module the weay you would have used the Weblog module in EE 1.6.

• #10 / Oct 01, 2010 7:33am

SurfTasmania

54 posts

Isn’t it a bit telling that there are an assortment of people asking about the gallery module? Are the devs lazy, do they not like images, are they coming out with a pay gallery module? Seriously, what’s the deal.

I wouldn’t say that anybody at EE has been / is “lazy” . . . they have always been very responsive and hard working in my opinion.

However I would say that the way in which the “image gallery issue” appears to be being handled, currently, is not very impressive or satisfying speaking as a customer of 6 years +.

• #11 / Oct 01, 2010 7:50am

SurfTasmania

54 posts

Isn’t it a bit telling that there are an assortment of people asking about the gallery module?

Given the number of licenses in general? I wouldn’t think so, no.

Hi, Ingmar.  So clearly you have surveyed your client base and established some metrics to make this statement?  Can you then add some details on those metrics?

The way your statement sounds to someone who has been an EE customer for 6 years and made significant investment in your 1st party gallery module, which I now can’t figure out how to update, is this:  “Not enough of you will be left behind by our choice to kill the gallery module to matter.”  Is that your intended meaning?

Are the devs lazy, do they not like images, are they coming out with a pay gallery module? Seriously, what’s the deal.

People have been using the Weblog module for the galleries a lot, certainly for anything but the simplest projects. The only reason not to was the image manipulation features of the Gallery module. An enhanced version of these has been built into EE 2. We simply suggest you use the Channel module the weay you would have used the Weblog module in EE 1.6.

Ingmar, can you then point us to how we upgrade/migrate our EE1.0 sites to EE2.0?  You are suggesting above it is “simple”?

Thanks, mate.

• #12 / Dec 06, 2010 2:53pm

otto

48 posts

Yes.  This would be a good thing to know as almost all the site I have created for client (over 12) employ the Gallery module… one quite heavily as it is used as a PayPal shopping cart for her products.

I seriously hoping that there’s going to be a simple way to port this over to the new EE 2.x.

Soon?
    thanks
    otto

• #13 / Dec 06, 2010 8:17pm

StudioKong

34 posts

Maybe this Channel Images add-on from DevDemon might be a good alternative for the Gallery Module in EE2:
    http://www.devdemon.com/store/detail/channel_images/

Cheers,

Koen

• #14 / Dec 06, 2010 8:25pm

otto

48 posts

Maybe.  Just need to explain to all the clients that now they have to fork out more money for something that was integrated right into the software they purchased…. and that there isn’t a sure bet that this additional application is going to import all their images and fields correctly.

So… not really.
    Need something that the folks at EE work into their program.  I think they are working on something and don’t plan to just let previous fans and program owners down.

otto

• #15 / Dec 10, 2010 5:43am

danieljohnbarnes

151 posts

I think they are working on something and don’t plan to just let previous fans and program owners down.

otto

It does not appear on the forecast, suggesting it’s not gotten past the discussion table yet/still. It’s a long time to be talking about doing something.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases