ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Error: Unable to open a socket to Sendmail - When trying to send messages from CP

May 10, 2010 2:58pm

Subscribe [3]
  • #1 / May 10, 2010 2:58pm

grandopening

4 posts

Moderator’s note: Split from here.

I’m having this same problem. Was it a path issue? I’ve looked at my path settings and they seem fine. I just switched to mediatemple’s DV 3.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Error
    Unable to send email at this time.
    Debugging Message
    Status: 127 - Unable to open a socket to Sendmail. Please check settings.
    Unable to send email using Sendmail
  • #2 / May 10, 2010 5:02pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

Can you tell us a little bit more about your problem? What version and build of EE are you using?

• #3 / May 10, 2010 5:12pm

grandopening

4 posts

I recently changed servers from MediaTemple GS to DV 3.5 - and on the DV, I am unable to send messages from the CP/FreeForm/Mailing list.

I receive this message:

Error
    Unable to send email at this time.
    Debugging Message
    Status: 127 - Unable to open a socket to Sendmail. Please check settings.
    Unable to send email using Sendmail

I checked the settings, and don’t see anything wrong…I mean, there isn’t a whole lot to the settings.

I am running 1.6.8- Build:  20091002

Any insight?

• #4 / May 10, 2010 5:17pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

Just merged the two threads. So, are you using Sendmail? Does any of the other options work? PHPMail?

• #5 / May 10, 2010 5:23pm

grandopening

4 posts

PHPMail appears to be working. I would rather use sendmail because I have a large mailing list. SMTP gives me an error too. Thanks for your help.

• #6 / May 10, 2010 5:28pm

Ingmar

29245 posts

PHPMail usually uses Sendmail, too, via the built-in PHP layer. There is no advantage in using one over the other; if PHPMail works, I wouldn’t worry about it. That said, if you want or must use Sendmail directly, it probably needs to be configured correctly. Your host would be able to help you there. “Unable to open a socket to Sendmail” is an error message from your server.

• #7 / May 10, 2010 5:46pm

grandopening

4 posts

So it wouldn’t be a potential path problem. I just switch to a new server and I know they support sendmail.

Let me know. Thanks.

• #8 / May 10, 2010 8:31pm

Brandon Jones

5500 posts

Yes, it could be a path problem. Please contact your host for the proper server path to sendmail.

As Ingmar said, though, PHP Mail is going to use sendmail by default. So you likely won’t see a difference one way or the other with mailing lists. If PHP Mail works, that would be the preferred setting because hosts will have already configured PHP with sendmail’s path for you.

Does that help?

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases