ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

The Official Live Blog the EE 2.0 Preview Thread

March 08, 2008 10:33am

Subscribe [5]
  • #16 / Mar 08, 2008 1:10pm

Colin Scroggins

4 posts

OK, so I really like:
    1) CI integration
    2) jQuery!!!
    3) CP change

Here is what I came wanting to hear:
    1) super charged media/file manager with versioning
    2) page-level hierarchy
    3) menu tags that can kick out unordered list based menus (full hierarchy, children, siblings, etc.) and identify the current page with a class
    4) built-in CSS & Javascript compression and acceleration like PHPSpeedy
    5) full support (user accounts, comments, etc.) for OpenID (not attached to an EE specific account; creating an account on the admin side should be as easy as pasting in an OpenID URL and setting the role, done!)

• #17 / Mar 08, 2008 1:33pm

DEA

257 posts

Questions

—Is the Jquery thing simply it being used for the CP? Or is there some kind of deeper integration?

—Now that EE is to be built on CI, does this actually diminish its appeal, as there are other, albeit ‘lighter’ CMSs popping up on CI, a la Blaze?

—How long will it take 3rd parties such as Solspace to upgrade their plugins to play nice with CI?

—Am I the only one at this point this is no longer laughing with the rest of the crowd at the ‘it’ll be done when it’s done’ comment?

—Will there be a marketing plan/push in place to potentially help 3rd party developers and integrators of EE?

• #18 / Mar 08, 2008 1:37pm

stinhambo

1268 posts

Questions

—Is the Jquery thing simply it being used for the CP? Or is there some kind of deeper integration?

—Now that EE is to be built on CI, does this actually diminish its appeal, as there are other, albeit ‘lighter’ CMSs popping up on CI, a la Blaze?

No, EE is EE and no other CMSs have the same way of dealing with data that I know of.

—How long will it take 3rd parties such as Solspace to upgrade their plugins to play nice with CI?

Need to ask them. Depends on their level of skill with CI.

—Am I the only one at this point this is no longer laughing with the rest of the crowd at the ‘it’ll be done when it’s done’ comment?

I’m not crying about it. Why can’t you feel happy that you heard anything at all?

—Will there be a marketing plan/push in place to potentially help 3rd party developers and integrators of EE?

Yes there will be.

• #19 / Mar 08, 2008 1:44pm

oldgoldblack

113 posts

While we all await some visuals .... Silicon Florist blog has some brief wrap-up thoughts and news of another demo coming to some conference I’ve never heard of.

And since there were some questions re: add-on compatibility, I refer to ye olde EE blog post. (All that makes me glad I’m still not a programmer.) So, fellas, when are we going to see that developer release, eh?

• #20 / Mar 08, 2008 2:02pm

oldgoldblack

113 posts

I must say, experiencing that preview from afar was a lot like watching an episode of L O S T.

A bit of warm and fuzzy, lots of tantalizing little tastes, but we didn’t actually get to see anything. There was much excitement to be had, then a huge cockblock at the end (dong!). More new questions now we have than old ones answered, and left we were craving more, more, more. When will the mysterious EL Island reveal its divine secretes?

A: “When it’s done.”

Happy Saturday, everybody.

• #21 / Mar 08, 2008 2:25pm

ms

274 posts

David has posted some photos on flickr:

ExpressionEngine 2.0 photos and slides of screenshots posted. http://tinyurl.com/2k42bg[/qoute]

• #22 / Mar 08, 2008 2:58pm

ignite

149 posts

MS, thanks for the link. David, thanks for the photos.

1st Impression:
    I’m excited for a new CP. Based on those screenshots I don’t know how much tho. Everything seems so large. I wonder, can the CP be themed? I’ll reserve my final judgement for when I can I actually install it and give it a run through. I was hoping for more information on how CI and EE are integrated. I would love to see some screencasts by EllisLab on that. Also, I’m glad to see JQ is integrated into EE now and that the CP takes advantage of that. All in all I’m a little disappointed that it wasn’t more detailed. But then again I got my info from David’s twitter so I’m sure my view is somewhat skewed.

Glad to see the EllisLab team has been working hard. Can’t wait for a public beta or something. 😊

• #23 / Mar 08, 2008 2:59pm

noregt

360 posts

Very hard to see the details, here’s a tuned up image

• #24 / Mar 08, 2008 3:04pm

stinhambo

1268 posts

Zoltar was my favourite villain. Second only to Baron Greenback from Dangermouse.

• #25 / Mar 08, 2008 3:23pm

Ryan M.

1511 posts

I really liked the changes to the CP, overall. Seems liks skimng it will be prstty easy. I’m going to the next session so I can hear it all over again. Looks like significant changes have been made to image and file uploads, although these weren’t specifically touched on.

• #26 / Mar 08, 2008 3:26pm

noregt

360 posts

Looks like significant changes have been made to image and file uploads, although these weren’t specifically touched on.

Great news! That was one of the things I found hard to explain to clients. Saves me programming SAEF and Tiny MCE (I hope)

• #27 / Mar 08, 2008 3:28pm

stinhambo

1268 posts

So the Cat’s out of the bag at last.

Keep in mind that images that are leaking out today are previews of work in progress. So there will still be improvements between now and release. So if you think something is missing, don’t panic.

I was getting worried when I didn’t see the Full E-Commerce Module button on there… lol

• #28 / Mar 08, 2008 3:29pm

stinhambo

1268 posts

Looks like significant changes have been made to image and file uploads, although these weren’t specifically touched on.

Great news! That was one of the things I found hard to explain to clients. Saves me programming SAEF and Tiny MCE (I hope)

Yes nicer file uploads with SAEF would be great. Exposing the file resizing tools with a custom file type field would be ace 😊

• #29 / Mar 08, 2008 3:30pm

Mark Bowen

12637 posts

Not wanting to put a dampener on all the fun but from what I have seen of the admin back-end I don’t think I like it. I know that I haven’t seen it in its full glory yet and with all the Javascript goodness going on but to me it just looks too much like all the other web 2.0 CMS systems that are out there and looks less in-depth. I know that a lot of people find the admin panel sometimes confusing but I like the fact that you can take parts out for certain people.

The screen-shots I have seen look like they don’t have a lot in them to start with.

I will totally reserve my true feelings until I have had a chance to have a go with the final version though but just my first impressions really, sorry. :-(

Best wishes,

Mark

• #30 / Mar 08, 2008 3:33pm

stinhambo

1268 posts

Not wanting to put a dampener on all the fun but from what I have seen of the admin back-end I don’t think I like it. I know that I haven’t seen it in its full glory yet and with all the Javascript goodness going on but to me it just looks too much like all the other web 2.0 CMS systems that are out there and looks less in-depth. I know that a lot of people find the admin panel sometimes confusing but I like the fact that you can take parts out for certain people.

The screen-shots I have seen look like they don’t have a lot in them to start with.

I will totally reserve my true feelings until I have had a chance to have a go with the final version though but just my first impressions really, sorry. :-(

Best wishes,

Mark

Please deregister yourself immediately.

I’m sure it will become clear with a screencast or two. There is a lot of AJAXy goodness to minimise clutter. It looks good to me guys!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases