ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Captcha won't show up

December 12, 2007 6:05pm

Subscribe [6]
  • #16 / Dec 18, 2007 6:07pm

redmercer

35 posts

Yup. Just fixed it.

The problem was a bad path for the Captcha. You’ll need to change your other paths to reflect what I changed for the captcha path.

Thank you so much, Sue.

For future reference, is there any formula for understanding how the server path should look? I’m thrilled that this is working, but not sure how I’m going to avoid the same problem in the future.

For anyone reading this post, Sue fixed my server path in Admin>System Preferences>Captcha Preferences, from

/home/content/(company-private stuff)/(folder name where EE is installed)/images/captchas/
    to
    /home/content/(company-private stuff)/html/(folder name where EE is installed)/images/captchas/

Thanks again, Sue!

• #17 / Dec 18, 2007 6:08pm

mcneasep

21 posts

They were able to fix whatever was wrong with the server it was hosted on and all is good now.  Thanks for the help.

• #18 / Dec 18, 2007 8:30pm

Sue Crocker

26054 posts

mcneasep, we’re glad your server admin was able to fix this for you.

• #19 / Jan 21, 2008 6:57pm

TonyNibbles

98 posts

Just to add to this.

I too had a problem with this.

I could not get {captcha} to display within the {exp:contact_email form}, despite turning it on within the email preferences (captcha worked fine in my exp:commments forms).
    It would work for a logged in member, but not a logged out / non-member.

To fix this, I went to:
    CP Home ›  Admin ›  System Preferences ›  Captcha Preferences
    And switched changed Require captcha with logged-in members? to ‘Yes’.

This fixed the issue with non-members or not-logged in members not being able to see the captcha ({captcha} simply wasn’t being rendered).
    This is the exact opposite of what I expected a setting like that to do, so perhaps this is a bug.

I was using Firefox as my logged in browser and IE as my Logged out browser.
    If the session checking is partly related to IP address and not browser then that’s very confusing…

• #20 / Jan 22, 2008 10:22am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Sounds opposite of what I’d expect as well.  What build/version are you running?  I’ll go see if I can replicate.

• #21 / Jan 22, 2008 10:46am

TonyNibbles

98 posts

I’m running 1.6.0 on that site, should’ve checked it on my dev version which is running 1.6.1.

• #22 / Jan 22, 2008 10:57am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Well- I don’t see where the version would matter, but testing on my 1.6.1 install, I can’t replicate the problem.  If I turn them on for email and have them off for members, I don’t see it logged in- do see it logged out.

If you want to poke it- can you paste the full tag being used to generate the form- and might want to put {member_id} as a test on the template- as a quick way to see your status when viewing the page.

Make sense?

• #23 / Jul 17, 2008 2:59pm

arifwidi

10 posts

Hi all,

Well, I am runing weblog with comments enabled but without membership.

So far, comments is working. But, I have problem with captchas.

Here are my details:
    -GD is available.
    - I am setting True Type fonts to NO.
    - I am editing Captchas Preferences to correct location.
    - Wizard.php resulted all requirements are met.

Well, I am followed some of the forums, but I feel I have followed the correct guide.

Any hints?

• #24 / Jul 17, 2008 3:08pm

Riverboy

2993 posts

I didnt get the pictures to be shown so i had problem also.
    Dont know about others but my solution to fix my captchaproblem was this core hack:
    in file “core_functions.php” about line 1900 i added this code

chmod($img_path.$img_name,0755);

just under the line

ImageJPEG($im, $img_path.$img_name);

Dont try if you do not know if this fits but for all ee-users i figured to point this out.
    Hopefully someday somehow that helps someone!

Cheers:
    - Tuittu

• #25 / Jul 17, 2008 3:32pm

arifwidi

10 posts

Hey thank you for sharing.

In addition, my captchas problem is, it did showed up the code for captchas images, but the image name is blank. So it only contain the /images/captchas/.jpg

Oh yeah, I also did the 777 mod for the captchas folder.

• #26 / Jul 20, 2008 1:31pm

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Hm- looks like the image isn’t being created.  Try this- in a blank template with php parsing turned ‘on’.  Make sure to set the paths at the top of the debug code:

<?php
    echo '<h2>Testing 1,2,3….</h2><p>';<br />
    $img_url= 'http://www.mysite.com/images/captchas/'; // as specified in captcha settings<br />
    $img_path = '/FULL PATH INFO/images/captchas/'; // as specified in captcha settings<br />
    $wordfile_path = 'FULL PATH INFO/system/lib/words.php'; // path to the words.php file inside your renamed system folder</p>

<p>    if (! function_exists('imagejpeg'))<br />
        {<br />
            echo 'no imagejpeg function';<br />
        }</p>

<p>        if ($img_path == '' || $img_url == '')<br />
            {<br />
                echo 'no image path';<br />
            }</p>

<p>        if ( ! @is_dir($img_path))<br />
            {<br />
                echo 'not directory';<br />
            }<br />
            <br />
            if ( ! is_writable($img_path))<br />
            {<br />
                echo 'not writable';<br />
            }<br />
            <br />
            if ( ! file_exists($wordfile_path))<br />
            {<br />
                echo 'no words';<br />
            }    <br />
            <br />
            if ( ! extension_loaded('gd'))<br />
            {<br />
                echo 'no gd';<br />
            }<br />
    echo '<br />
    done';</p>

<p>?>

What’s that output?

• #27 / Jul 21, 2008 9:57am

arifwidi

10 posts

Hi Rob,

Here is my result:

Testing 1,2,3….

no words
    done

• #28 / Jul 21, 2008 10:06am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Generally you shouldn’t have to set the path to the words file- so this may just be a case of a bad path in the test.  Still- grab a fresh copy of EE, ftp in and replace the system/lib/words.php file with a fresh copy.  If there isn’t a file already in there- then that was definitely the problem.

• #29 / Jul 21, 2008 10:20am

arifwidi

10 posts

Generally you shouldn’t have to set the path to the words file- so this may just be a case of a bad path in the test.  Still- grab a fresh copy of EE, ftp in and replace the system/lib/words.php file with a fresh copy.  If there isn’t a file already in there- then that was definitely the problem.

Hi Rob, I actually have been used the latest EE version, 1.6.4. And, after I checked it, there is a words.php file in lib folder.

FYI, after checked it on the images/captchas folder, there is actually a file named .jpg. Since it is wrong(?), it can not be showed up, is it?

What’s wrong? Or, do you suggest me to trying another captchas plug in? The advanced captchas or text captchas?

Thanks.

• #30 / Jul 21, 2008 10:23am

Robin Sowell

13218 posts

Nope- let’s get this one working first.  It’s stock- and should work.  Then if you want to try out the others, you’ll know if you needed to tweak anything.  Let’s see- did you alter any EE files.  If so- which and how.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases