ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

A Little Clarification

November 14, 2007 2:49pm

Subscribe [1]
  • #1 / Nov 14, 2007 2:49pm

Paul Burdick

480 posts

Names are important to both people and companies.  When a name is known and used, there is a marked difference in how thoughts are presented about that entity.  Subsequently, when a name is used or said incorrectly, there is a problem as the identification is lost.  On some level, it can even be seen as a lack of respect and shows a bit of carelessness.

The reason I bring this up is the continual spread of incorrect spellings of our company’s name and also the names of our software packages.  Our company name is “EllisLab” where it is only one word.  There is no ‘s’ on the end.  What’s the difference, you might inquire?  One is our company’s name and the other is not.  Simple as that.  We would like to be called by our actual name and not something else.

Same thing with ExpressionEngine and CodeIgniter.  They are both a combination of two words that are put together to form the name of a piece of software.  We have tried to be consistent with this for years now, but the message seems to have been lost along the way, so I am presenting it in a clearer form.  Hope it helps.

• #2 / Nov 14, 2007 3:06pm

restiffbard

1 posts

Why do I have the horrid feeling you just read the Colophon on my blog? Fixed. I swear. Nary a space shall slip ‘tween the es again. Promise. Hand on heart.

• #3 / Nov 14, 2007 3:19pm

seth.aldridge

68 posts

Congrats to all the fine folks at EllisLabs who make Expression-Engines and Code Igniters.  I love those pieces of codes.

*sarcasm*

• #4 / Nov 14, 2007 3:30pm

Willem de Boer

142 posts

ExpressionEngine.com:

Keywords: “EllisLabs” Total Results: 45

Google.com

Results 1 - 10 of about 678 for ellislabs. (0.25 seconds)

Never seen it before, but i can imagine that it’s frustrating that people can’t spell your name correctly.

Poll Burdick, Rik Ellus, Lesly kamatsjo, Derk Jones, it’s a shame for the world that everybody is spelling it wrong

• #5 / Nov 14, 2007 3:41pm

Boyink!

5011 posts

Never seen it before, but i can imagine that it’s frustrating that people can’t spell your name correctly.

No?  :shut:

Just FYI - I will admit to intentionally using both “Expression Engine” and “ExpressionEngine” on my site for SEO reasons.

Currently the traffic is 2:1 in favor of the spaced version.

• #6 / Nov 14, 2007 3:46pm

Ricky Irvine

16 posts

Jeepers. You seem a little ticked off about it. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve always represented ExpressionEngine as one word with capital Es.

What about addressing inconsistent logos within ExpressionEngine? New and old are mixed all over. And there have been links and references to pMachine as well. If these were addressed in the 1.6.1 update, forgive me. I haven’t upgraded just yet.

• #7 / Nov 14, 2007 3:50pm

Paul Burdick

480 posts

Jeepers. You seem a little ticked off about it. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve always represented ExpressionEngine as one word with capital Es.

What about addressing inconsistent logos within ExpressionEngine? New and old are mixed all over. And there have been links and references to pMachine as well. If these were addressed in the 1.6.1 update, forgive me. I haven’t upgraded just yet.

I am not “ticked about it” but there is a moment when you need to address a problem and that is past.  There are people who have taken our documentation for EE to create their own documentation for their Add-Ons, and yet, they still are typing ExpressionEngine incorrectly, despite it being right there in the docs they are copying.

Um, logos?  If you are talking about the themes, those are intentional.  And references to pMachine should be out of the docs and code base in so far as it makes sense.

• #8 / Nov 14, 2007 4:02pm

Ricky Irvine

16 posts

I am not “ticked about it” but there is a moment when you need to address a problem and that is past.  There are people who have taken our documentation for EE to create their own documentation for their Add-Ons, and yet, they still are typing ExpressionEngine incorrectly, despite it being right there in the docs they are copying.

That’s understandable.

Um, logos?  If you are talking about the themes, those are intentional.  And references to pMachine should be out of the docs and code base in so far as it makes sense.

Forgive me if the tone in my previous reply came out as vexed. I was referencing the logo in the footer of the actual ExpressionEngine software. In 1.6 it’s still the old-style “e”. As for the pMachine references, I couldn’t tell you where I’ve seen them, but I have (in the EE software). But, it’s been a while. Perhaps I should let you guys know if/when I see it again.

Anyway, sorry for the bother! Hope all is well.

• #9 / Nov 14, 2007 5:08pm

PXLated

1800 posts

Is a simple EE acceptable? 😉

• #10 / Nov 14, 2007 6:14pm

Visiluna

92 posts

PointTaken

CorrectionsMade

• #11 / Nov 14, 2007 10:24pm

John Fuller

779 posts

That is OK Paul, I have been described with MUCH worse names.

• #12 / Nov 15, 2007 2:31am

Reese Spykerman

41 posts

Just FYI - I will admit to intentionally using both “Expression Engine” and “ExpressionEngine” on my site for SEO reasons.

Currently the traffic is 2:1 in favor of the spaced version.

I’m with Michael on this one.
    If I were to ever do an add-on or module, I’d use the correct term, but I use both keywords for seo reasons as well.

• #13 / Nov 17, 2007 12:12pm

lealea

202 posts

I can totally relate to this little quandry. My company’s Lealea Design but I’ve seen people type is as LeaLea Design or Lea Lea Design… Alas, alas. 😊 And while others work for SEO, brand-wise, it’s a good practice to make sure people understand the official spelling and application.

• #14 / Nov 22, 2007 1:59pm

terminate

5 posts

Same thing with ExpressionEngine and CodeIgniter. (...) We have tried to be consistent with this for years now, but the message seems to have been lost along the way, so I am presenting it in a clearer form.  Hope it helps.

Hi! To start with I’de like to say that I am much more productive since I took upon CodeIgniter. So much more that I feel I must add to the community, therefor take this as a bug report and not a complain.

If you want the name to be consistent you have to make it consistent on your own pages.

http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/53641/

Check out the page Title. Powered By CodeIgnitor | CodeIgniter Forums.

You must make CodeIgniter consistent.

• #15 / Nov 22, 2007 2:25pm

Paul Burdick

480 posts

That’s because the <title> attribute contains the forum topic title, which has it misspelled and was submitted by a user who does not work for EllisLab.  Please actually try and just focus on the message of my entry.  Do not try and muddle it with something, that even if it were correct, is not a ‘bug’.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases