ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Consistent Spam Lately

January 21, 2012 8:03pm

Subscribe [16]
  • #16 / Oct 19, 2012 10:53am

Roi Agneta

352 posts

Add me to the list of spam victims and a sudden surge of spammy registrations.  Did some research and it seems CAPTCHA has been busted by some readily available image recognition software - Google “de captcha” for further information.

I know there are a lot of add-on solutions, but, given the rise of spam in general, it would be nice to have something more robust as part of the EE core.

• #17 / Oct 22, 2012 4:37am

jonwrightmedia

75 posts

Same here, suddenly over the last couple of weeks I’m being targeted by evil handbag sellers.

• #18 / Nov 02, 2012 12:11pm

bmewhinney

30 posts

Okay, spam (of all kinds) is a moving target, but here’s what is killing 99.9% for me….
    —Harden EE using its own ADMIN > SECURITY AND PRIVACY settings;
    —Install extension Low NoSpam (with Akismet API key);
    —Install extension VZ Bad Behavior and link (via API key) to Project Honeypot.

Note: VZ Bad Behavior has shot down virtually all badness in EE, mostly through realtime connection to “Project Honeypot”; don’t be put off by the cute name — if you click “Display detailed logs” in the Settings for VZ Bad Behavior, you’ll see the full list of dorks who got stopped even before their crawlers, spiders, and scrapers ever entered your website. Once you copy the IP numbers in VZ Bad Behavior, go to http://www.projecthoneypot.org/search_ip.php and get info on who these dorks are. It’s like counting bug-smears on your windshield. :coolgrin:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases