ExpressionEngine CMS
Open, Free, Amazing

Thread

This is an archived forum and the content is probably no longer relevant, but is provided here for posterity.

The active forums are here.

Consistent Spam Lately

January 21, 2012 8:03pm

Subscribe [16]
  • #1 / Jan 21, 2012 8:03pm

Bransin

157 posts

Anyone else experiencing this lately. It almost seems as if the bot has the EE captcha figured out.

I’m receiving spam around 5pm CST everyday through comments. Spam consists mostly of designer handbags.

IP blacklist doesn’t seem to do any help since it’s always dynamic and never consistent. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

• #2 / Jan 23, 2012 4:15pm

Dan Decker

7338 posts

Hi Bransin,

We haven’t noticed a particular spike here, but this is a rather limited sample 😉 To get you the most feedback from the community at large, I’m going to move this into the General Discussion forum.

Just to get a sense for where you’re at, what measures are you taking to prevent spam in addition to CAPTCHA?

Cheers!

• #3 / Jan 23, 2012 4:51pm

Bransin

157 posts

Using the native EE captcha and the typical required fields for a contact form. The same goes for comments. The spam has never been this bad before. Has anyone had any luck with questions like “What is 5 times 5?”

• #4 / Jan 24, 2012 12:31am

grafik

13 posts

I am using captcha on several websites and as of the past few days some spam has gotten through.  It seems an updated captcha would be nice.  Any suggested improvements?

Matt

• #5 / Jan 24, 2012 10:42am

Chriiiiso

46 posts

We’ve been getting a ton of spam lately through our contact form, largely blocked with Freeform Anti-Spam using all of their methods, the honeypot catches the most according to Omnilog:
    http://www.vayadesign.net/code/addon/freeform_antispam

Some still gets through, but it does a decent job, especially for free.  Akismet does a really good job (it’s what Wordpress uses, so it has a huge sampling to learn from) but it’s not free for anything other than personal sites.

Captcha hasn’t really done anything other than annoy users so we’ve removed it from the contact form without a noticeable increase of spam.

• #6 / Mar 12, 2012 6:29am

pushloop

422 posts

One of my clients are also experiencing a ton of comment spam on a regular basis, despite using the built-in captcha.
    In fact, as I’m writing this another spam comment has been entered!

• #7 / Mar 15, 2012 9:04am

Satoshi Onoda

16 posts

A similar case here.
    My blog has been experiencing literary thousands of spam comments.
    I deleted the spams directly from the DB recently but still getting the new ones.
    http://firstclassbackpacker.info/fcb/individual/wallpaper_calendar_night_views_from_the_world_november_2011/
    http://firstclassbackpacker.info/fcb/individual/day154_sintra_excursion/

For an experiment, I changed the captcha’s font but nothing has been improved.
    IP blocking is impossible as the spamers uses different IPs.

Therefore, I’m now considering to switch to DISQUS.

• #8 / Mar 30, 2012 1:59pm

Eastwood Design

605 posts

I have numerous clients complaining about an unbelievable amount spam using EE’s built in CAPTCHA

• #9 / Apr 11, 2012 2:28pm

scottmey

15 posts

Starting to experience hundreds of spam comments daily, out of nowhere, before last week it was maybe 1 or 2 cases a month. Now Everytime I remove them, there’s twice as many after reload. The takeover has begun!! help!!!!!! Please!

• #10 / Apr 18, 2012 11:08pm

Ben Lilley

214 posts

Same problem here, the EE captcha seems to have been figured out.

• #11 / Jun 08, 2012 7:35am

RachieW

1 posts

Anyone else experiencing this lately. It almost seems as if the bot has the EE captcha figured out.

I’m receiving spam around 5pm CST everyday through comments. Spam consists mostly of designer handbags.

IP blacklist doesn’t seem to do any help since it’s always dynamic and never consistent. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

We have most of the data from the ‘handbag spammer’ and actually his registration data is reasonably consistent. You might get some relief by downloading the Project Cerberus monthly blacklist from the site (you’ll need to be a member).

We’re running Guardian on one of the sites he was hitting over and over again and he’s not got through recently. Promising results.

• #12 / Jun 11, 2012 3:32pm

Chriiiiso

46 posts

I added VZ Bad Behavior (http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/vz-bad-behavior) to our site, using the optional Operation Honeypot API, and that alone has just about single-handedly stopped spam.  Do recommend.

• #13 / Aug 01, 2012 12:30pm

peachorama

35 posts

Just to add to this conversation, I was also experiencing a high volume of spam using FreeForm and captcha. I installed FreeForm Anti Spam and VZ Bad Behavior and so far so good.

• #14 / Aug 06, 2012 8:33am

Podzol

80 posts

Hello,
    I have several ee sites with forums, but comments disabled. They are all infested with a spammer that changes their IP, fills in the username and first and last name fields with the same name. They also fill out and “Interests” field with intelligible information some of the time.

I have implemented captcha and snaptcha on all the sites and this one goes right through, though others are caught. Also installed the VZ/HoneyPot, but this spammer gets through.

Does anybody have experience with this particular spammer or one like it?

Thanks…

• #15 / Oct 17, 2012 5:46am

itischarles

1 posts

Hi Bransin,

We haven’t noticed a particular spike here, but this is a rather limited sample 😉 To get you the most feedback from the community at large, I’m going to move this into the General Discussion forum.

Just to get a sense for where you’re at, what measures are you taking to prevent spam in addition to CAPTCHA?

Cheers!

Please I need urgent help from you. I have done I can to fight spam on my client’s website site. The harder I try the more the spam registrations come. It has increased drastically and it is becoming frustrating. I have implemented EE captcha but failed to stop it. i have implemented ‘low-spam with Akismet and TypePad , but to no success. I get about 50 - 100 spam registration per day. I have changed the profile trigger word, changed so many setting on the backend. I have adopted most of the recommendations on this forum but somehow, not getting it to stop the spam registration. My client uses EE 1.X but thinking of upgrading to version 2.X. Do you think this will put a stop to the spam?. What else could you recommend I try. My head is aching!

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ExpressionEngine News!

#eecms, #events, #releases