EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
2 of 2

Okay, seriously, what are the spam-fighting options for the discussion forum module???
Posted: 25 March 2009 02:55 PM   [ # 19 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
211 posts

thanks derek. alas, I’m not an extension developer…

dru, wanna put some money in the pot for a developer to make that extension?

I’d say one good feature of such an extension would be to allow “auto-approve”
(so, the admin/moderator gets an email with the forum post, and two links – one to “approve this post” and one to “approve all future posts from this user”)

anyone?

Posted: 25 March 2009 02:59 PM   [ # 20 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
409 posts

How far can this be taken?

I can see some power here. What if all members who have less than, say, 5 approved posts, are in moderation. But once you have 5 approved posts, your posts are just freely posted without moderation? That would probably eliminate a ton of the forum spam, used in conunction with Low NoSpam smile Is that extensionable??

Signature 

Love gadgets, technology, and pop culture? Visit us at Gear Live: http://www.gearlive.com

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:02 PM   [ # 21 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
211 posts

not sure if it’s appropriate to mention here but I’d be willing to pay a developer decently to come up with this extension (with at least with basic functionality such as auto-approve after 5 posts). this would cut down my time to moderate and time is money, as they say.

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:03 PM   [ # 22 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
6512 posts

Seems like I also recall an extension that didn’t accept submissions from anyone within 24 hours of registering.  A bit heavy handed, but depending on your community, it’s another possibility.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:07 PM   [ # 23 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
2315 posts
pirco - 25 March 2009 06:55 PM

I’d say one good feature of such an extension would be to allow “auto-approve”
(so, the admin/moderator gets an email with the forum post, and two links – one to “approve this post” and one to “approve all future posts from this user”)

That’s an elegant solution. Add a link to delete and/or ban the member, too.

Signature 

ronnymac
———
Ron McElfresh
Honolulu, HI
———
From EE to WP | Hobby Site | Newer Hobby Site | Friend’s Site | Another Friend’s Site

Posted: 09 June 2010 03:40 AM   [ # 24 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12 posts

I’m about to implement a module like this, but based on a profanity word list. i bet i could modify it to work with other spam prevention mechanisms/rules. Coming from another cms (drupal) i was a bit disappointed to see the forum module is not using core comments. For the core comment my module does already work.

So the idea is to write a module that has a seperate database of moderation status of a posting.
to write the status can be easily achieved with the mentioned hook during post submission.
I’m not sure how to block the view of the posting if it has a blocked status.

any ideas?

Posted: 09 June 2010 04:03 PM   [ # 25 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
619 posts

Actually, I had same problem. I started forum, and in a month I had so much spam on it and so much fake accounts I didn’t know what to do at first.
Then I changed settings, even though my customer wanted differently, and I turned on default captcha, registration through link AND i banned all visitors from “exotic countries”. My theory was, that since nobody will pay for advertising for people from pakistan or angola, or coite’d'ivory, Zimbabve and similar countries, I just used default possibility of EE forum and banned all users from such countries.
If your portal is for example local, then ban everybody from other countries ... advertisers know how many target visitors you have, you can have milion people from Zimbabve, but if your target visitors are from, for example, Norway, you can just ban everybody else, you will not get payed for rest of visitors, that visits will not count anywhere ... so why bother?

Signature 

http://www.crnaovca.net

Posted: 09 June 2010 04:06 PM   [ # 26 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
619 posts

Oh, yes, I have mail for every post and every member that registers, and in mail I have links to web service and with that automatically generated link I can delete post or member, or ban by just clicking ...

Signature 

http://www.crnaovca.net

Posted: 10 June 2010 05:02 AM   [ # 27 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12 posts

not always an option. looking to write an extension for every usecase.

Posted: 10 June 2010 10:30 PM   [ # 28 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
305 posts

I personally believe in the Death Penalty for Spammers.  Considering all the man hours they make us waste.  Alternatively, a few hours in a pain amplifier each day would also suffice.

Signature 

Have a good day!

Posted: 14 June 2010 12:07 AM   [ # 29 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12 posts

spam is a give background noise in the internet. it’s evil but will always be there.
the challenge is how to deal with it, and EE doesn’t seem to do anything in this regard with the forum module.

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:29 AM   [ # 30 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
982 posts
pirco - 25 March 2009 07:02 PM

not sure if it’s appropriate to mention here but I’d be willing to pay a developer decently to come up with this extension (with at least with basic functionality such as auto-approve after 5 posts). this would cut down my time to moderate and time is money, as they say.

There is add-on by silenz Moderate Once which has very similar functionality for comments. According to its docs:

With Moderate Once only the first comment of a person needs to be approved. Once that first comment has been approved any subsequent comments by that person are no longer moderated and get posted automatically.

Perhaps this free add-on could be hacked to provide functionality you need for forums.

Signature 

Full list of add-ons here

Child Categories
Browser Sniff
Category Id
Entries Number

2 of 2