EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search

Alternatives to Flashplugin -  ( and IE 7 grief)
Posted: 16 December 2007 02:17 PM
74 posts

I am setting up a site that uses a number of swf files in tables for primary navigation.
It’s a pretty standard layout - topNav, leftNav. It tests fine across all mac browsers -

From the very first tests in IE, all items show the dreaded Click to Activate prompt and highlighted borders.

I’m just using the simple flashplugin - It really is a neat little bit of code, but I was skeptical with all the ActiveContent.js stripped out.
For those who haven’t used it, flashplugin works alone in the templates with this single line, most of it optional:

{exp:flashplugin file=”/flash/google.swf” width=“320” height=“120” bgcolor=”#000000” quality=“low” version=“5” name=“MyFlashMovie” align=“left”}

IE is suspicious of it as there is no local script running.

I don’t imagine “exp:flashplugin is really the solution.

Any ideas on another reliable way to place swfs into the template that don’t flag explorer? I’ve been using flash nav for years and have never had an issue as Macromedia/Adobe have always had fast responses to things like the ie7 license issue.

I’ve tried everything I can think of to point different versions of embed src to the AC_RunActiveContent file with no success.

Any alternate approaches to embedding flash without the {exp:flashplugin approach would be really appreciated.

Posted: 17 December 2007 02:04 AM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
149 posts

Take a look at UFO, it’s been around a while and works well.

Signature 

ExpressionEngineer - custom solutions for EE

I EE

Posted: 17 December 2007 04:48 AM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
74 posts

UFO looks incredible, thanks you very much for providing the link. It will also solve my Netscape woes which I didn’t even want to think about until I got IE behaving.
Now I just have to figure out how to install it in my existing pages.

Posted: 17 December 2007 04:51 AM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
149 posts

The documentation on the UFO page is all you’ll need to read.
Good luck!

Signature 

ExpressionEngineer - custom solutions for EE

I EE

Posted: 17 December 2007 05:06 AM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
61 posts

We have used SWFObject very successfully for placing Flash & Flex content in a XHTML page. It is now on Google code ( http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/ ). You can customise it very easily.

I have not used UFO but i’m sure they are along the similar lines, all I can comment on is how good SWFObject has been for me.

Signature 

jameswhittaker.com
refreshingapps.com

EE : Flex : Flash : AIR : AJAX : PHP : RoR

Posted: 17 December 2007 06:28 PM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
74 posts

I’m really taken by the objective behind UFO - I think it will ultimately change how we address swf content.

The problem is, I’m still where I started:
Getting past IE7 is an important goal, but I haven’t had any success getting flash to run at all inside of EE without the flashplugin tag.
So I can’t display swf files locally in Safari for example so I am definitely missing something here.

I was hoping you could send a sample specific to EE than I can look at.

I have had no success displaying flash in any context without using the plugin. Regardless of the IE issues, perhaps that would be a good start.

I very much appreciate your interest in this - I haven’t really had any progress in almost 2 weeks.
I love what EE offers, but I am missing something here.

Thanks

c.