EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
1 of 2

A Little Clarification
Posted: 14 November 2007 02:49 PM
490 posts

Names are important to both people and companies.  When a name is known and used, there is a marked difference in how thoughts are presented about that entity.  Subsequently, when a name is used or said incorrectly, there is a problem as the identification is lost.  On some level, it can even be seen as a lack of respect and shows a bit of carelessness.

The reason I bring this up is the continual spread of incorrect spellings of our company’s name and also the names of our software packages.  Our company name is “EllisLab” where it is only one word.  There is no ‘s’ on the end.  What’s the difference, you might inquire?  One is our company’s name and the other is not.  Simple as that.  We would like to be called by our actual name and not something else.

Same thing with ExpressionEngine and CodeIgniter.  They are both a combination of two words that are put together to form the name of a piece of software.  We have tried to be consistent with this for years now, but the message seems to have been lost along the way, so I am presenting it in a clearer form.  Hope it helps.

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:06 PM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
2 posts

Why do I have the horrid feeling you just read the Colophon on my blog? Fixed. I swear. Nary a space shall slip ‘tween the es again. Promise. Hand on heart.

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:19 PM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
87 posts

Congrats to all the fine folks at EllisLabs who make Expression-Engines and Code Igniters.  I love those pieces of codes.

*sarcasm*

Signature 

http://www.sethaldridge.com/

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:30 PM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
154 posts

ExpressionEngine.com:

Keywords: “EllisLabs” Total Results: 45

Google.com

Results 1 - 10 of about 678 for ellislabs. (0.25 seconds)

Never seen it before, but i can imagine that it’s frustrating that people can’t spell your name correctly.

Poll Burdick, Rik Ellus, Lesly kamatsjo, Derk Jones, it’s a shame for the world that everybody is spelling it wrong

Signature 

Visit the Dutch EE Community

Expression-Engine.nl

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:41 PM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
4784 posts
pctje - 14 November 2007 08:30 PM

Never seen it before, but i can imagine that it’s frustrating that people can’t spell your name correctly.

No?  shut eye

Just FYI - I will admit to intentionally using both “Expression Engine” and “ExpressionEngine” on my site for SEO reasons.

Currently the traffic is 2:1 in favor of the spaced version.

Signature 

Get the missing EE2 owner’s manual - a complete guide to building an EE2 site.  It’s available in PDF or print.

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:46 PM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
18 posts

Jeepers. You seem a little ticked off about it. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve always represented ExpressionEngine as one word with capital Es.

What about addressing inconsistent logos within ExpressionEngine? New and old are mixed all over. And there have been links and references to pMachine as well. If these were addressed in the 1.6.1 update, forgive me. I haven’t upgraded just yet.

Posted: 14 November 2007 03:50 PM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
490 posts
Ricky Irvine - 14 November 2007 08:46 PM

Jeepers. You seem a little ticked off about it. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve always represented ExpressionEngine as one word with capital Es.

What about addressing inconsistent logos within ExpressionEngine? New and old are mixed all over. And there have been links and references to pMachine as well. If these were addressed in the 1.6.1 update, forgive me. I haven’t upgraded just yet.

I am not “ticked about it” but there is a moment when you need to address a problem and that is past.  There are people who have taken our documentation for EE to create their own documentation for their Add-Ons, and yet, they still are typing ExpressionEngine incorrectly, despite it being right there in the docs they are copying.

Um, logos?  If you are talking about the themes, those are intentional.  And references to pMachine should be out of the docs and code base in so far as it makes sense.

Posted: 14 November 2007 04:02 PM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
18 posts
Paul Burdick - 14 November 2007 08:50 PM

I am not “ticked about it” but there is a moment when you need to address a problem and that is past.  There are people who have taken our documentation for EE to create their own documentation for their Add-Ons, and yet, they still are typing ExpressionEngine incorrectly, despite it being right there in the docs they are copying.

That’s understandable.

Paul Burdick - 14 November 2007 08:50 PM

Um, logos?  If you are talking about the themes, those are intentional.  And references to pMachine should be out of the docs and code base in so far as it makes sense.

Forgive me if the tone in my previous reply came out as vexed. I was referencing the logo in the footer of the actual ExpressionEngine software. In 1.6 it’s still the old-style “e”. As for the pMachine references, I couldn’t tell you where I’ve seen them, but I have (in the EE software). But, it’s been a while. Perhaps I should let you guys know if/when I see it again.

Anyway, sorry for the bother! Hope all is well.

Posted: 14 November 2007 05:08 PM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1830 posts

Is a simple EE acceptable? wink

Posted: 14 November 2007 06:14 PM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
138 posts

PointTaken

CorrectionsMade

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2007 10:24 PM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
794 posts

That is OK Paul, I have been described with MUCH worse names.

Posted: 15 November 2007 02:31 AM   [ # 11 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
52 posts
Boyink - 14 November 2007 08:41 PM

Just FYI - I will admit to intentionally using both “Expression Engine” and “ExpressionEngine” on my site for SEO reasons.

Currently the traffic is 2:1 in favor of the spaced version.

I’m with Michael on this one.
If I were to ever do an add-on or module, I’d use the correct term, but I use both keywords for seo reasons as well.

Signature 

design that delights, engages & inspires. | member of the EE Pro Network

http://www.designbyreese.com

Posted: 17 November 2007 12:12 PM   [ # 12 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
243 posts

I can totally relate to this little quandry. My company’s Lealea Design but I’ve seen people type is as LeaLea Design or Lea Lea Design… Alas, alas. smile And while others work for SEO, brand-wise, it’s a good practice to make sure people understand the official spelling and application.

Signature 

{ say it once, say it twice, lealea says it’s nice } { host, EE Podcast } { member, professionals network }

Posted: 22 November 2007 01:59 PM   [ # 13 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
6 posts
Paul Burdick - 14 November 2007 07:49 PM

Same thing with ExpressionEngine and CodeIgniter. (...) We have tried to be consistent with this for years now, but the message seems to have been lost along the way, so I am presenting it in a clearer form.  Hope it helps.

Hi! To start with I’de like to say that I am much more productive since I took upon CodeIgniter. So much more that I feel I must add to the community, therefor take this as a bug report and not a complain.

If you want the name to be consistent you have to make it consistent on your own pages.

http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/53641/

Check out the page Title. Powered By CodeIgnitor | CodeIgniter Forums.

You must make CodeIgniter consistent.

Posted: 22 November 2007 02:25 PM   [ # 14 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
490 posts

That’s because the <title> attribute contains the forum topic title, which has it misspelled and was submitted by a user who does not work for EllisLab.  Please actually try and just focus on the message of my entry.  Do not try and muddle it with something, that even if it were correct, is not a ‘bug’.

Posted: 22 November 2007 02:28 PM   [ # 15 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
6547 posts

terminate, we are consistent.  The title of the page is from the title of the thread, created by the topic’s author, davidvandertuijn.  Helping to validate Paul’s entry. wink

Signature 

1 of 2