I’m making a fairly simple webpage as a graduation thesis. The problem is, that I don’t know whether I should choose a CMS, a framework or to program everything from scratch in PHP.
The site will be a database for video game music concerts. Anyone can add and edit concerts. This is the site’s structure in a nutshell.
- Search bar
- Advanced search -button
- Add new concert -button
Advanced search page
- The following criteria can be specified in the advanced search:
—- date, country, city, artist, which game etc.
Add new concert page
- The above mentioned things can be added
- The above mentioned things are visible
- Edit concert -button
Edit concert page
- Information can be edited and saved
- Revert changes -button/list
- Delete concert -button
I’m not sure yet what users will have rights to add, edit and delete concerts. This site will be a subdomain and I was thinking that users will register in the main domain. That way I will only need a login-box.
I’m quite the beginner and I’m trying my best to investigate different options. From school I have some experience in PHP, MySQL, WordPress and Drupal. But I have never used a framework before. These are the answers and thoughts I’ve received from other people:
1) With WordPress it’s difficult to make a user-contributed webpage. It will become slow and unreliable.
2) But a CMS is a stable solution, because updates are made automatically. Without a CMS it might be a lot of work to update to the newest PHP or add FB Like-buttons etc.
3) Frameworks are more flexible and lend themselves great for sites with a specific purpose.
4) No one has ever recommended that I code everything from scratch. (Though I think it could be a good learning experience)
I would really appreciate any help. I do have over half year of time to make this, but I want to get started already!