I’ve been developing community websites with Joomla for about 8 years now. I know it inside and out, but lately my sites have become very complicated. I’m looking for a CMS that can handle a complicated website without having to use 15 different vendors with weekly updates and break downs (like Joomla).
The problem with Joomla is that it’s not really built to do what I need for an association web site. For example, an association needs to know quickly how many members it has that are in good standing or how many still need to pay their dues. Nothing like that is simple with Joomla. Or, they may want to email all of the past members to see if they want to join again. Joomla disables these users so they are basically non-existent. These simple things have to be built and even then they will fail on subsequent upgrades or changes.
I build websites for non-profit professional organizations which typically use these features:
- paid memberships with possibly 10 or more member “types”
- addon profile fields
- public profile (only shows public certain things)
- public map of possibly multiple addresses for each member
- different access level memberships
- meeting registrations
- multiple “frontend” managers of website (with limited to no HTML knowledge) that can add articles or update member profiles, send email, etc
- either a forum or listserv
- need a CCK (content cunstruction kit) to be able to create the types of content they require
- a way to download membership roster or another complicated membership query into .csv file
- newsletter feature
- donation module
Those are the biggies. Joomla plus CBsubs and some other extensions have been working, but I’m just so tired of the constant updates and versions from multiple 3rd party vendors which may or may not know what they’re doing.
Also, I can’t figure out if multi-site would be good to use on non-affiliated sites such as for example 5 completely different membership sites or not? If I could do all of my sites from one install, it’d be a HUGE bonus. Is multi-site only to be used for sites where the content and members intermingle?