EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
1 of 2

Consistent Spam Lately
Posted: 21 January 2012 08:03 PM
212 posts

Anyone else experiencing this lately. It almost seems as if the bot has the EE captcha figured out.

I’m receiving spam around 5pm CST everyday through comments. Spam consists mostly of designer handbags.

IP blacklist doesn’t seem to do any help since it’s always dynamic and never consistent. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

Posted: 23 January 2012 04:15 PM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
7343 posts

Hi Bransin,

We haven’t noticed a particular spike here, but this is a rather limited sample wink To get you the most feedback from the community at large, I’m going to move this into the General Discussion forum.

Just to get a sense for where you’re at, what measures are you taking to prevent spam in addition to CAPTCHA?

Cheers!

Posted: 23 January 2012 04:51 PM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
212 posts

Using the native EE captcha and the typical required fields for a contact form. The same goes for comments. The spam has never been this bad before. Has anyone had any luck with questions like “What is 5 times 5?”

Posted: 24 January 2012 12:31 AM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
16 posts

I am using captcha on several websites and as of the past few days some spam has gotten through.  It seems an updated captcha would be nice.  Any suggested improvements?

Matt

Posted: 24 January 2012 10:42 AM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
52 posts

We’ve been getting a ton of spam lately through our contact form, largely blocked with Freeform Anti-Spam using all of their methods, the honeypot catches the most according to Omnilog:
http://www.vayadesign.net/code/addon/freeform_antispam

Some still gets through, but it does a decent job, especially for free.  Akismet does a really good job (it’s what Wordpress uses, so it has a huge sampling to learn from) but it’s not free for anything other than personal sites.

Captcha hasn’t really done anything other than annoy users so we’ve removed it from the contact form without a noticeable increase of spam.

Signature 

If you’re having new release problems I feel bad for you son
I’ve got 99 problems, especially 2.6.1.

Posted: 12 March 2012 06:29 AM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
519 posts

One of my clients are also experiencing a ton of comment spam on a regular basis, despite using the built-in captcha.
In fact, as I’m writing this another spam comment has been entered!

Signature 

pushloop

André Fredriksson
pushloop.se

Posted: 15 March 2012 09:04 AM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
25 posts

A similar case here.
My blog has been experiencing literary thousands of spam comments.
I deleted the spams directly from the DB recently but still getting the new ones.
http://firstclassbackpacker.info/fcb/individual/wallpaper_calendar_night_views_from_the_world_november_2011/
http://firstclassbackpacker.info/fcb/individual/day154_sintra_excursion/

For an experiment, I changed the captcha’s font but nothing has been improved.
IP blocking is impossible as the spamers uses different IPs.

Therefore, I’m now considering to switch to DISQUS.

Signature 

Satoshi Onoda
First Class Backpacker

Posted: 30 March 2012 01:59 PM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
549 posts

I have numerous clients complaining about an unbelievable amount spam using EE’s built in CAPTCHA

Signature 

EastwoodDesign.ca

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:28 PM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
23 posts

Starting to experience hundreds of spam comments daily, out of nowhere, before last week it was maybe 1 or 2 cases a month. Now Everytime I remove them, there’s twice as many after reload. The takeover has begun!! help!!!!!! Please!

Posted: 18 April 2012 11:08 PM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
234 posts

Same problem here, the EE captcha seems to have been figured out.

Signature 

Twitter / Pitch / Blog

Posted: 08 June 2012 07:35 AM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1 posts
Bransin - 21 January 2012 08:03 PM

Anyone else experiencing this lately. It almost seems as if the bot has the EE captcha figured out.

I’m receiving spam around 5pm CST everyday through comments. Spam consists mostly of designer handbags.

IP blacklist doesn’t seem to do any help since it’s always dynamic and never consistent. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue?

We have most of the data from the ‘handbag spammer’ and actually his registration data is reasonably consistent. You might get some relief by downloading the Project Cerberus monthly blacklist from the site (you’ll need to be a member).

We’re running Guardian on one of the sites he was hitting over and over again and he’s not got through recently. Promising results.

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:32 PM   [ # 11 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
52 posts

I added VZ Bad Behavior (http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/vz-bad-behavior) to our site, using the optional Operation Honeypot API, and that alone has just about single-handedly stopped spam.  Do recommend.

Signature 

If you’re having new release problems I feel bad for you son
I’ve got 99 problems, especially 2.6.1.

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:30 PM   [ # 12 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
55 posts

Just to add to this conversation, I was also experiencing a high volume of spam using FreeForm and captcha. I installed FreeForm Anti Spam and VZ Bad Behavior and so far so good.

Posted: 06 August 2012 08:33 AM   [ # 13 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
113 posts

Hello,
I have several ee sites with forums, but comments disabled. They are all infested with a spammer that changes their IP, fills in the username and first and last name fields with the same name. They also fill out and “Interests” field with intelligible information some of the time.

I have implemented captcha and snaptcha on all the sites and this one goes right through, though others are caught. Also installed the VZ/HoneyPot, but this spammer gets through.

Does anybody have experience with this particular spammer or one like it?

Thanks…

Posted: 17 October 2012 05:46 AM   [ # 14 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1 posts
Dan Decker - 23 January 2012 04:15 PM

Hi Bransin,

We haven’t noticed a particular spike here, but this is a rather limited sample wink To get you the most feedback from the community at large, I’m going to move this into the General Discussion forum.

Just to get a sense for where you’re at, what measures are you taking to prevent spam in addition to CAPTCHA?

Cheers!

Please I need urgent help from you. I have done I can to fight spam on my client’s website site. The harder I try the more the spam registrations come. It has increased drastically and it is becoming frustrating. I have implemented EE captcha but failed to stop it. i have implemented ‘low-spam with Akismet and TypePad , but to no success. I get about 50 - 100 spam registration per day. I have changed the profile trigger word, changed so many setting on the backend. I have adopted most of the recommendations on this forum but somehow, not getting it to stop the spam registration. My client uses EE 1.X but thinking of upgrading to version 2.X. Do you think this will put a stop to the spam?. What else could you recommend I try. My head is aching!

Posted: 19 October 2012 10:53 AM   [ # 15 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
452 posts

Add me to the list of spam victims and a sudden surge of spammy registrations.  Did some research and it seems CAPTCHA has been busted by some readily available image recognition software - Google “de captcha” for further information.

I know there are a lot of add-on solutions, but, given the rise of spam in general, it would be nice to have something more robust as part of the EE core.

Signature 

http://www.kiskadazyn.com
websites that work for small business

1 of 2