EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
1 of 2

ExpressionEngine 2.3 and Improved User Guide Released
Posted: 11 October 2011 05:01 PM
12635 posts

We’re pleased to release ExpressionEngine 2.3 today, as promised, along with an improved ExpressionEngine User Guide.  This release includes security fixes, new features and a number of bug fixes.

Read on to find out more or download now and get started updating!

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:13 PM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
187 posts

The new documentation looks really nice. But, I noticed community comments have been removed. That was a pretty valuable feature. Are there plans to add it back?

Another option is to put docs in a Git repo and accept pull requests.

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:15 PM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12635 posts

Definitely.  We just need to do a bit of pruning (a lot of comments were incorporated into the content where appropriate) and in all honesty we wanted the form to be a bit prettier before showing it to the public.

So yep- user comments very useful and we’ll be bringing them back to the docs.

Also- thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:17 PM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
187 posts

Good to hear. Glad to see a renewed focus on docs! That’s always been a strength of EE over some of the alternatives.

Posted: 11 October 2011 09:29 PM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
433 posts

First of all, congratulations. You are some of the hardest working folks around, that’s for sure!

I was also quite worried that the user-contributed content was gone, and hope it’ll be returned soon! That was one of the hard parts of the 1.6 - 2.x documentation move, and I rely on some of those code snippets and bits of advice.

TTFN
Travis

Signature 

Check out our add-ons for EE:

* Hop Inject * * Deeploy Helper * * Edit This * * Publish Improve * * Reeveal Comments *

Hop Studios Internet Consulting
http://www.hopstudios.com/

Posted: 11 October 2011 09:49 PM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
6510 posts
Hop Studios - 11 October 2011 09:29 PM

I was also quite worried that the user-contributed content was gone, and hope it’ll be returned soon!

Just got them back up, Travis, thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2011 09:59 PM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
433 posts

Wow—I was expecting days or weeks, not 20 minutes. Now I feel bad for griping!

TTFN
Travis

Signature 

Check out our add-ons for EE:

* Hop Inject * * Deeploy Helper * * Edit This * * Publish Improve * * Reeveal Comments *

Hop Studios Internet Consulting
http://www.hopstudios.com/

Posted: 12 October 2011 03:30 AM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
192 posts

Thanks and one question!

Does the customisable pagination give us the ability to create Next / Previous links on single, multipage entries where the anchor text is the title of the next entry?

So if I have an article split up into 6 pages, I can have a link to the next and previous page actually describing the content?

Posted: 12 October 2011 06:07 AM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
115 posts

I’ve been a bit annoyed by the logout confirmation window ever since EE 2 launched and even made a feature request to get it removed, in the meantime i’ve gotten used to blindly clicking the logout button. Is there any reason why the logout confirmation buttons are switched in 2.3?

Screenshot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/logoutwindow.png/

Posted: 12 October 2011 07:56 AM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
2803 posts

Cool - waiting is over smile Thanks.

Signature 

Waiting for 3rd party add-on devs to put their add-ons compatible with latest EE…

Posted: 12 October 2011 08:35 AM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
4640 posts

Thanks for the fast turnaround getting comments and top-nav added back in!

Chrome on Windows has a bit of a formatting issue on the comment form…

Signature 

Get the missing EE2 owner’s manual - a complete guide to building an EE2 site.  It’s available in PDF or print.

Posted: 12 October 2011 09:05 AM   [ # 11 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12635 posts

@danieljohnbarnes - no, the new additions to pagination only affect the {pagination_links} tag- the bit that outputs 1 2 3 so to speak.  That said, we aren’t done thinking about the feature (we’re batting around some parameters and expanding beyond entries and comments), so feature requests on it are especially welcome.

I’m not entirely sure how I see multi-entry pagination getting the title for the next page, though.  How would you envision that working in the tags?  (I do think it’s a good idea, just not coming up with a vision of how it might work dynamically.)

@Benjamin V - thanks for the screen shot.  In truth?  I’ll need to double check on that one.  Odds are good it was done for consistency or SOP, but I’ll ask.

Also- woot!  It’s a lovely morning!

Signature 

Posted: 12 October 2011 09:13 AM   [ # 12 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
6510 posts
Boyink! - 12 October 2011 08:35 AM

I don’t have access to that at the moment, Boyink, can you please post a screen shot?  Thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 12 October 2011 11:06 AM   [ # 13 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
192 posts
Robin Sowell - 12 October 2011 09:05 AM

@danieljohnbarnes - no, the new additions to pagination only affect the {pagination_links} tag- the bit that outputs 1 2 3 so to speak.  That said, we aren’t done thinking about the feature (we’re batting around some parameters and expanding beyond entries and comments), so feature requests on it are especially welcome.

I’m not entirely sure how I see multi-entry pagination getting the title for the next page, though.  How would you envision that working in the tags?  (I do think it’s a good idea, just not coming up with a vision of how it might work dynamically.)

It’s an area that I struggle with when I want to break a story into multiple pages, but I think the approach lies in taking a fresh look at the way a multi_field entry is setup.

Currently, I do this:

{multi_field="blog_body|blog_body_2|blog_body_3|blog_body_4|blog_body_5|blog_body_6|blog_body_7|blog_body_8|blog_body_9"}
{paginate}{if {total_pages} 
1}
<p>Page {current_page} of {total_pages} pages for this article {exp:replace find='P0/'}{pagination_links}{/exp:replace}</p>
{/if}{/paginate} 

It’s messy because the author is limited to a certain number of fields, you have unused fields on the Edit page when it’s not required to split the article, and because if you use pagination for this, you can’t use it for comments, and I prefer to have paginated comments on the main article page, not a standalone one, and I don’t use DISQUS.

I’d be interested in seeing how others tackle the issue.

Posted: 12 October 2011 12:22 PM   [ # 14 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
4780 posts
Boyink! - 12 October 2011 08:35 AM

Thanks for the fast turnaround getting comments and top-nav added back in!

Same thing happened to me on the first User Guide load after we added comments back in. I think it’s likely just that your browser is serving up the cached CSS file. If you reload the page, everything should look good again.

Posted: 12 October 2011 03:08 PM   [ # 15 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
2803 posts

Few notices after upgrading;
- Forum still says its 3.1.5 (but the build is updated). (you, i believe, can modify it from mod.forum.php).

- Forum docs does not have Version Notes to 3.1.6

Nothing elsea atm. to say smile

Signature 

Waiting for 3rd party add-on devs to put their add-ons compatible with latest EE…

1 of 2