EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
1 of 2

CUBRID Database Support
Posted: 19 January 2011 09:41 PM
22 posts

Hi,

We have decided to use CodeIgniter framework for a new web service we are developing in our company for which we use the CUBRID Database, which has nice optimizations for Web services. However, as I know CI supports only MS-SQL, Oracle, MySQL, SQLite, and PostgreSQL. Do you have plans to add the CUBRID support? If so, when?

Thanks.

*EDIT:

Forgot to mention their site: http://www.cubrid.org.

Posted: 07 June 2011 05:11 AM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Hi,

It’s already half a year passed since I posted this question, which still awaits for reply.

Regarding the CUBRID DBMS, they have recently release the new twice faster engine 8.4.0, which is said to be 90% compatible with MySQL. In addition, their PHP API for 8.4.0 has been updated, which also provides almost complete MySQL PHP API syntax compatibility. All these, I suppose, make it so easy to implement the CUBRID DB Layer.

Please let me know if there is any plan for it. I might also join for implementation and testing. I just need to be sure that if I join, my efforts won’t be in vain.

Thanks.

Posted: 14 July 2011 07:00 PM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
173 posts

hi kadishmal,

any progress in using cubrid with codeigniter ?
are you still interested in implementing cubrid with ci2 ?

regards,
ionut

Posted: 15 July 2011 02:57 AM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Hello ionut,

In fact, I am. I heavily use CUBRID in my daily work. Two weeks ago CUBRID has released the stable version of CUBRID 8.4.0. It’s really cool and all the administration tools have been updated, too, which makes me even happier.

So, if CI has some plans regarding supporting CUBRID, I am in.

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:23 AM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
173 posts

hi kadishmal,

i don’t think ci’s team has any plans to support cubrid but we can start writing the drivers for that using mysql as example

do you have any large site using cubrid how’s the performance ?

Posted: 15 July 2011 04:18 AM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Oh, yeah. I know that Korea’s largest search engine Naver.com (5th top search engine in the world) uses CUBRID for its Blogging, Community, News, Calendar, Word Processor, and tons of other services. According to Naver site, there are over 30 million unique visitors per month on their services.

So, in terms of performance, I don’t think there is anything to worry about.

Posted: 15 July 2011 06:59 AM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
173 posts

maybe we can team and start building drivers for cubrid

Posted: 15 July 2011 07:11 AM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

ionut,

I think there is no need to build “drivers”. CodeIgnite has a DB wrapper classes, as any other framework, which are then used by/as ActiveRecord ORM classes. So, what we have to do is take MySQL class as an example and write identical one for CUBRID. I am sure there won’t be much differences as most MySQL syntax is the same in CUBRID. I have experienced that.

So, if you agree we can start from here, investigate and share the parts we modify for CUBRID. Next week I will have to attend the conference in States, so I won’t be available. I will be back by 1st of August. Then I hope we can finish CUBRID DB Layer for CI within a few weeks, including unit tests, then inform CI team about this contribution. I hope they will then add CUBRID support for the next CI release.

What do you think?

Posted: 15 July 2011 08:07 AM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
173 posts

old

Posted: 15 July 2011 10:08 AM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
173 posts

kadishmal,

i’m talking about ci reactor
if you take a look at system/database/ you will see the folder drivers we need to make a copy of mysql folder
and rewrite that for cubrid

maybe we can communicate over yahoo messenger or skype ?

do you know any cubrid books ?

i ported (not tested yet)
mysql_driver.php to cubrid_driver.php
mysql_result to cubrid_result

forge and utility will be a pain to port

Posted: 18 July 2011 12:47 AM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

CUBRID Books? No, I haven’t heard of any CUBRID books so far. But they have:

- CUBRID Manual http://www.cubrid.org/manual
- CUBRID PHP Manual http://php.net/manual/en/book.cubrid.php
- CUBRID PDO Manual http://php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-cubrid.php

All that we need.

I looked at the /databases/mysql directory and have estimated the approximate time to completed. I suppose in a week or two we can finish porting. Not many changes are necessary. The ones we definitely need to change/handle are the function which handle:

- database creation
- character set
- serials

1. At this moment, it is not possible to create a database through CUBRID PHP Driver. So, normally, users have to pre-create their database, then run their PHP script to populate the database. I don’t think this is a problem, though.

2. There are no character sets in CUBRID. So, we can ignore those functions (or do something else). I will see when I look deeper.

Like I told you before, I will arrive on August 1st. If you manage to port the MySQL driver classes to CUBRID, I will come and check, and perform tests. Otherwise, I will join you and help you finish the porting.

By the way, if you happen to attend CUBRID it! programming contest (http://www.cubrid.org/cubrid_it), soon they are going to launch a new contest which will be related to web applications porting/development or something of this sort. So, we may also apply for the event. I don’t know the details, though.

And, my skype is kadishmal. We can also talk there.

Posted: 03 August 2011 03:32 AM   [ # 11 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Hi! I’m back now. Why don’t you upload your code to github or other SCV so that we could co-work? I will check your code and will finish it up.

Posted: 03 August 2011 07:06 AM   [ # 12 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
31 posts

hi kadishmal

Signature 

Welcome to my web site:http://www.dailygames365.com|www.dailyarcadegames1.com

Posted: 03 August 2011 07:19 AM   [ # 13 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts
nikes - 03 August 2011 11:06 AM

hi kadishmal

Hi nikes! What’s up?

Posted: 05 August 2011 08:19 AM   [ # 14 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Hi!

I’ve created the cubrid_*.php CUBRID Driver related classes. Now I need to run CI native unit tests to confirm the DB Driver works as expected. Do you know where can I find these tests?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Posted: 07 August 2011 10:01 PM   [ # 15 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
22 posts

Since CI also supports several relational DBs, I suppose there should be unit tests used for testing all of them.

Where do I find them?

1 of 2