EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search
1 of 3

What are you doing with CodeIgniter?
Posted: 11 June 2010 07:12 AM
614 posts

As part of my reign of terror I’m collecting stories about people that are doing cool things with CodeIgniter. Are you building a new site with CodeIgniter? Are you doing something technically challenging that you’re proud of? Are you using third-party libraries and add-ons to great effect? We want to hear from you!

Tell us your stories, what you’re using CodeIgniter for, be it a massively scalable website with millions of hits a month, or a small pet project that demonstrates some clever bit of tech. The most interesting submissions will then be selected for a full interview to be featured on the CodeIgniter blog

If you want to contribute, email me at jamie (at) jamierumbelow (dot) net, get me on Twitter at @jamierumbelow or get me on Skype, at jamierumbelow. I’m looking forward to reading all your responses!

Thanks,

Jamie Rumbelow
CodeIgniter Community Chieftain

Signature 

THE CODEIGNITER HANDBOOK - A new CI book for everybody!
—-
Freelance Web Developer - @jamierumbelow - http://jamieonsoftware.com

Posted: 11 June 2010 07:28 AM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
334 posts

well this isn’t a great story but I wanna share anyways =D

I am building my own CMS, as I never liked to adapt myself to an already existing one.

I have been working alone for many months now. I was a little worried about never being able to finish it, but I think I’m pretty close now, and it’s working great. It has so many features and required so many techniques, good practices, and third party code, all of which I collected here and there (but mainly in this forum), and I’m proud of it ^^.
I wanted to make it open source at first, but I realized that gathering all the licences from say, the javascript libraries I’m using, and checking if they allow me to distribute them as part of a bigger product, will take so much time that now I think I’ll just have it for my personal use and just build sites faster, which was the whole purpose of this after all.

Also, you can check an old site I made in codeigniter in my signature, 30k+ HQ pictures, pure awesomeness smile

Signature 

Wallpapers and Images Site: Desktop Wallpapers

Posted: 11 June 2010 09:38 AM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
90 posts

In moment, I’m remaking a entire web site, maked in pure PHP. For questions of performance, security, maintenance and others, I suggested the CodeIgniter to the project owners & they liked very much. So I’ll redo everything and apply new features.

By now, for contract restrictions, I can’t say more… But, when the project is finished, I’ll post the link!

Att

Posted: 11 June 2010 06:18 PM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
2 posts

After beginning to work with ‘Coders’ and just being so overwhelmed with the way they work… I decided to “get involved”. Currently we are attempting to recreate a previously built site. Naturally, we are keeping the old one LIVE till we can get the new one up and going.

Posted: 11 June 2010 06:47 PM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
49 posts

We’ve been using Codeigniter as the backbone of our development for a couple years now.  Have been impressed at how CI “gets out of your way” and give a structure we can follow, but a structure we can also customize to our needs and practices.

Some sites include:

Applied Learning Tracker (ALT)
Tracking system for UK-based schools offering BTEC or Diploma courses

Community Connections
Program to help run a Faculty of Social Work or any organization requiring connections between students and organizations offering relevant field experience.

RushPRNews
Press release distribution and management service for SMBs and agencies with multiple clients.

Risk Management
System to help ensure events are properly reviewed and risks mitigated.

As we go we build up components, have a custom controller that handles AJAX requests easily, and with the standardized file structure getting new programmers up to speed quick, even with projects we haven’t touched in 3 years smile

Keep up the good work!

Posted: 11 June 2010 10:10 PM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
165 posts

Building an online ticket/issue management system and integrated knowledge base. This has been an evolving project, that im currently moving from AR to an ORM (not sure which yet though…) style business layer.

Posted: 11 June 2010 10:29 PM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
227 posts

Very cool of you, Jamie! I’m looking forward to the interview.

I’ve just finished up a fairly large site (MoBassFishin.com) for a client that includes backend custom CMS, forums, classified ads, pulls info from RSS feeds and parses the feeds for current lake data, tournament results and more. That was quite the undertaking, but almost all of it custom-built on CodeIgniter.

The thing that I’m really excited about, however, is a personal project that I’m working, called The Next Read. It’s aim is to provide a new paid publishing ground for authors of serial fiction, based on a micro-payment model. Authors will be able to post their stories, one episode at a time. The first episode will always be free, but the then the author can choose to make the other episodes either free or paid. They’ll be able to directly interact with their readers and, as the site builds a base, hopefully even start making some decent money. My biggest thrill out of this is if I can provide a way for authors to make a living for themselves (however meager) outside of the traditional publishing model.

For readers, it will have Netflix style recommendations (still figuring out the specifics on that one) and I am looking to incorporate the Facebook Open Graph API to provide other recommendations based on what their friends are reading. That feature isn’t planned for launch, of course smile

It’s an exciting project for me, and fairly involved, but I’m loving it. I just wish that, like with any personal projects, I could put more time to it.

Thanks again, Jamie

Signature 

Bonfire - Faster CodeIgniter development | Ocular Template Library

Posted: 14 June 2010 09:36 AM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1 posts

I built a small Twitter aggregator for the World Cup at http://worldcuptweets.eu (iPhone). Aim of the game was to learn the inner workings of the JQtouch framework, but the backend / Twitter feed is all CI.

Also rebuilding the LAB Records site in CI. The site will grab data from their Twitter profile, Tumblr blog, and their Big Cartel store. Big Cartel blogged about what I was doing with their API in Codeigniter. Hoping for a release some time in the next few weeks.

Posted: 14 June 2010 12:55 PM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
430 posts

Hey!

I’m (constantly) developing for Swedens largest competition for unsigned bands and artists. The project is called “Rockkarusellen” and found at: http://www.rockkarusellen.se.

The seasons is over for this time but in the middle of october the new season starts, and hopefully with a complete redesign for the web.

I use Codeigniter for almost everything I do. When I don’t use it, I use ExpressionEngine. smile

Signature 

———————————————————————————————————————————-
Imac 27” Core i7 / 12GB RAM
Macbook Pro 15” C2D 2.53Ghz / 4GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT 512MB
iPhone 4 16Gb Black

http://www.rockkarusellen.se

Posted: 22 June 2010 11:12 PM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
61 posts

Great topic and a lot of great projects! I’ve been using Codeigniter for about a year and a half now and really love it, there are so many great options and if you need something that’s not there it is easy enough to build in yourself.

I’ve done a number of different projects and tasks with CI, most if which I can’t talk about because of contracts and things but mostly a lot of E-Commerce sites. I’ve been working on my own CMS which has really flourished over the last few months with a lot of new features.

One of my pet projects since late 2005 has been http://www.SyracuseBands.net. It was primarily built for local bands in the Syracuse, NY area and the latest is version #5, built of course, with CI. It gives bands an easy (and free) way to promote themselves with profiles, images, MP3 player, calendar, updates, and a lot more. It has been slowly expanding to other cities in NY state also. I get a lot of great feedback from it. I’ve been planning on making a sister site for all local bands nation wide…also to be built with CI.

I have another new project but I won’t post until it’s done with beta testing.

Signature 

Modo Media Group

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:50 AM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
49 posts

> http://einherjar-konsortium.de: guild site with user-management, news, comments, raidplanner, forums, calendar, private messaging system, live-adminstration (in-site) and much more. All built from scratch using CI.

Posted: 23 June 2010 05:04 PM   [ # 11 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
4489 posts

I’m extending the CI framework with:
- multi-site support
- a workflow engine
- background processing support (cron-like)
- a highly modular theme driven template engine
- a task-based RBAC authorisation system, with roles and groups support
- an authentication system with a pluggable architecture (and plugins for local DB, LDAP, AD, OpenID, ...)
- a fully modular architecture (even the admin backend is not built-in)
- a plugin architecture to allow easy extension of module functionality
- lots of extensions to CI functionality
- more to come…

See my sig…

Signature 

Me: WanWizard.eu | My company: Exite | Datamapper: DataMapper ORM <= LOOKING FOR A NEW MAINTAINER!

Posted: 26 June 2010 02:59 PM   [ # 12 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
133 posts

I run a Swedish site called Skivsamlingen (“The Record Collection”). It’s a place mainly for those who still hang on to the physical formats of music storage to index their collection and show it to others.

The site has been with me for quite some time, and has gone from non-framework PHP, via my first attempt using CodeIgniter, to the most recent version where I’ve to a great extent used more advanced library extensions to adapt the framework to work just as I want it to. This project is really what have taught me CodeIgniter (among other things) and made me comfortable with it’s code base.

Signature 

Blog | Twitter | Last.fm
MY_Form_Validation - extended for protection using nonce words

Posted: 26 June 2010 09:15 PM   [ # 13 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
8 posts

Great idea Jaime - as I was looking over the Projects page for CodeIgniter.com, I was a little underwhelmed with it’s delivery. There’s no recommendation or featured project view and many of the sites are gone. That page could definitely use an overhaul, and your idea here could really help that out! smile

I’m relatively new to CodeIgniter and frameworks in general. I took the NetTuts CI tutorials and loved it. Recently I’ve been building an application for task management (a relatively tired and crowded market, for sure, but we’ve brought something new to the table - hopefully it will be received well!) with a friend of mine who is just getting started with PHP and learning (he’s doing most of the front-end). We made a few tests - one with Smarty/MVC, one without Smarty, and now CodeIgniter. The CodeIgniter version has been, by far, the most enjoyable to build and I’ve learned a lot. It hasn’t needed anything 3rd party as of yet, just straight CodeIgniter in all it’s powerful glory smile

Posted: 27 June 2010 03:02 PM   [ # 14 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
12 posts

Aloha!

We are working on a search engine which try to use “new” concepts.
We use CI for the Website but not for every part of the project.

so far… smile

Posted: 03 July 2010 06:13 PM   [ # 15 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1 posts

I made a few CMS (all offline now, clients went out of business ... not my fault I hope), a small invite-only social network (is that an oxymoron?), currently working on an intranet-kinda thing.
When I started with CI the only line of code I was able t o code in php was ‘include(‘menu.php’);’ CI really helped learning to code!

1 of 3