Running into this weird error over and over and don’t know what’s up or if it’s a bug. I tried searching the forums and it looks like the trial version supposedly has this issue, too, but I’m not using a trial version.
Basically, I go to the publish form page to edit the layout to remove extra tabs (e.g. Pages tab in the channels that don’t reference it). However, when I do something like that, custom fields disappear after saving the layout and only the Title and URL Title fields show up, despite other fields existing.
I have to “remove layout” in order for all the fields to show up; however, unwanted tabs and other items are the consequence.
Is this a clean install or an upgrade? If you remove all of the custom layouts for all groups, does the issue still occur? If so, please make note of the exact steps you are taking and post them here to help us reproduce it.
This is an upgrade from 1.6.9. If I remove all the custom layouts for all channels, and just try to edit one channel layout it still has weird results.
So for example, I have a News channel. I click on that, then click on Show Toolbar. After that, I delete Pings and Pages from “Tabs.” Click Select All from Publish Layout, then Save Layout. I get the green starbust thing with the 1 saying it worked.
At that point, I click on Content > Publish > News again to see if it indeed saved. After I do so, the two custom fields below url_title (teaser and article) disappear. All I can see is the title field and url_title. All the tabs are fine, though, and items there still show up. It’s the main publish tab that looks wonky.
After that, I just remove layout, and click on the link that says Refresh Layout which gets me all the tabs and items back again.
FYI, JUST tested this on my own personal install for my food blog which is hosted on Enginehosting, not my client’s (hosted on Mediatemple), and the simple act of deleting the Categories tab removes all fields beneath the URL Title. My personal install is on 2.0.2pb 20100430 as well.
Lea, a quick thing for you to try, and Brandon too.
I have this problem _not_ happening on both Safari (latest 5.0 update) and on Firefox (3.6.4).
I’m not finished with permutations, but I believe it’s the Chrome browser that causes the problem. I’m using the latest 5.x version of that, and your problem is 100% there.
There may also be something to do with Cookie Only vs. Cookie + Sequence number sessions, but that is looking possibly less likely. I am at the moment using cookie only, though, for the successes, so if you don’t see it, try that too.
Looks like you are onto something. I just switched to Safari 5 to make the changes to the layout, no issues. Then I opened it up in Chrome and it looks like the changes took! So looks like if i want to customize the Publish layout, I need to do it in a browser other than Chrome. After I do so, it looks like the changes are saved even when opened in Chrome.
Yeah, Webkit is exactly why I went to Safari first to test, but at least Safari 5 is different. I’m kind of finished now, except for knowing what your version of Chrome is - can you post?
That will let me wrap up a sufficient bug report as I have tested Chrome 5 and 6, and I imagine you may be on 4 for Chrome - we’ll go with what we have there as there are others they’ll want to test a fix on anyway.
Results I have are:
- exactly. You can make layouts successfully with Safari and Firefox, and then they will also work fine on Chrome.
- if you make a layout with Chrome, you will lose a number of your custom fields. It varied quite a lot for me what proportion, according to what was there.
- Session type Cookies/Sessions is not involved. Good.
- something funny with Saved Data - it gets confused over Layout change points, and better not to load it when you come back in, but save to eliminate it.