EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search

Banner Ad Management
Posted: 03 March 2010 07:44 AM
131 posts

Haven’t used anything for this in the past, but have a need now.

What software do you, or your clients use to manage adverts on their sites?

Posted: 03 March 2010 09:15 AM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
78 posts

Hi Simplyee,

I have just launched a site (in the last hour actually) that required a solution for managing banner ads.

http://www.topgolfer.ie

The requirements were fairly simple as the advertisers in this case are sponsors so it’s not run on a PPC basis. I tried both Open X and Google Ad Manager and found both overly complicated, GAM even had display problems with the site as I suspect the js used was having trouble with the url structure of my EE site.

In the end I went much more user-friendly option in BittAds. It lacks some of the features of the other services but is also much simpler to use.

http://www.bittads.com/

Hope this helps,

Liam

Posted: 25 March 2010 11:37 AM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
447 posts
sammiefields2512 - 25 March 2010 02:52 PM

Hi, thanks a lot. I’d been trying for ages to make my own banners with photoshop, but that program is just impossible! I’ll be giving these sites a visit.

Bittads does not create banners for you - it delivers them to your pages. You will still have to create the banners in the first place - same as the Google and OpenX - oh your just spamming the site.

Signature 

“All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas.” E.M. Forster 

Artscape and Santaballs
Chris O’Donoghue Chelsea Garden Designer
The Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
Croydon RFC

Posted: 21 April 2010 11:42 AM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
54 posts
Mandarax - 03 March 2010 02:15 PM

Hi Simplyee,

I have just launched a site (in the last hour actually) that required a solution for managing banner ads.

The requirements were fairly simple as the advertisers in this case are sponsors so it’s not run on a PPC basis. I tried both Open X and Google Ad Manager and found both overly complicated, GAM even had display problems with the site as I suspect the js used was having trouble with the url structure of my EE site.

In the end I went much more user-friendly option in BittAds. It lacks some of the features of the other services but is also much simpler to use.

Hope this helps,

Liam

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Question though. How would I handle ads displayed on category pages. I’m using categories to distinguish site sections i.e. Sports, Lifestyle etc and my url structure is http://www.site.com/article/category/sports...

Any one have any ideas?

Posted: 21 April 2010 12:10 PM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
78 posts

That’s not a problem. BittAds uses tags so that you can divide content and show specific ads on specific locations and pages. I copied this from the admin area of BittAds to give you an idea of how it works:

bitt.zone allows you to divide your website or network into different areas.
When creating an ad, you will be able to choose which zones to display it in.
Example: bitt.zone = ‘finance’;
bitt.location allows you to specify different pages or areas within a zone, for instance “frontpage” or “registration page”.
When creating an ad, you will be able to choose which locations to display it in.
Example: bitt.location = ‘registration page’;
bitt.keywords allows you to specify keywords associated with this page.
When creating an ad, you will be able to display it only on pages that contain specific keywords.
Example: bitt.keywords = [‘video’, ‘mercedes’, ‘bmw’];
The shape indicates what kind of banner this is. This helps distinguish the ad spot from other ad spots on the same page.

Using this within your templates will give you the results you require. On my site I have gone a step further by creating a custom field in my weblog to enter special ad tags that will be written to the page and then picked up by BittAds allowing you or your client control over ad display from the EE admin.

NN Webmaster - 21 April 2010 03:42 PM
Mandarax - 03 March 2010 02:15 PM

Hi Simplyee,

Hope this helps,

Liam

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Question though. How would I handle ads displayed on category pages. I’m using categories to distinguish site sections i.e. Sports, Lifestyle etc and my url structure is http://www.site.com/article/category/sports...

Any one have any ideas?

Posted: 21 April 2010 12:54 PM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
54 posts

Thanks for the reply. After some fiddling around though I figured it out. I just put the script between the {exp:weblog:category_heading} tags and specified bitt.zone to change according to the category name. See the example below:

{exp:weblog:category_heading weblog="{section}" parent_only="yes"}
[removed][removed]
  [removed]
   bitt
.instance 'xxxx';

bitt.zone '{category_name} Category Page';

bitt.location 'xxxx';

bitt.keywords [];

bitt.showAdOnLoad('xxxx');
[removed]
{
/exp:weblog:category_heading} 

Hope this helps someone else.

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:03 PM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
78 posts
NN Webmaster - 21 April 2010 04:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. After some fiddling around though I figured it out. I just put the script between the {exp:weblog:category_heading} tags and specified bitt.zone to change according to the category name. See the example below:

{exp:weblog:category_heading weblog="{section}" parent_only="yes"}
[removed][removed]
  [removed]
   bitt
.instance 'xxxx';

bitt.zone '{category_name} Category Page';

bitt.location 'xxxx';

bitt.keywords [];

bitt.showAdOnLoad('xxxx');
[removed]
{
/exp:weblog:category_heading} 

Hope this helps someone else.

That’s a clever solution. Try doing something like that with Google Ad Manager or Open X..  shock

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:47 PM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
54 posts

I don’t think I want to even try to figure that out.  grin

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:57 PM   [ # 8 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
1680 posts

fwiw you can use targeting channels in OpenX to do much the same thing by passing a site variable with your zone embed code.  When serving ads using local mode (the non-javascript method) all it takes is the following line of code before your view_local function call:

<?php
    $_REQUEST[
'<your openx site variable name>''{your_ee_variable_name}';
?>

then you set up a new targeting channel in OpenX with delivery limitation “site variable is equal to name: <your openx site variable name> value: <whatever your EE variable contains>”

after that, you can use the targeting channel as a delivery limitation for your banners

nothing to it wink

Signature 

EE Pro Network
eMarketSouth - full service web design, development, and SEO
ExpressionEngine consulting services - SQL queries, .htaccess rewrites, template optimization, jQuery/AJAX, and more!
our add-ons - please “favorite” and rate our products on devot:ee if you like our work. smile

Posted: 21 April 2010 02:35 PM   [ # 9 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
54 posts

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Posted: 07 June 2010 01:26 PM   [ # 10 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
54 posts

Hi ender,

I’ve been asked to switch to OpenX cause BittAds takes too long to serve our ads. I see the solution above but I’m really not that familiar with OpenX as yet. Would you mind explaining what you posted again. I’m still trying to find my way around OpenX. The interface is a little more complex than BittAds.