EllisLab text mark
Advanced Search

facebook share url link issue
Posted: 28 July 2009 12:49 AM
474 posts

for each entry, i want to use a facebook share button which will allow users to share the entry on facebook. I have used both the raw facebook code and also the social bookmanrks plugin - both work fine, except in both cases, the entry or article title is missing. it only shows the name of the blog on facebook - like “blog | Mysite “.  so you have no idea what the posted article title is. but if you click on that link in facebook, you are brought to the correct article!

whenever use the same button on other sites, the article title and even associated images shows up correctly.

any ideas?

Posted: 25 August 2009 11:07 AM   [ # 1 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
84 posts

vacquah, I’m struggling with the same issue.  According to this page…

http://www.facebook.com/share_partners.php

...the key is to put title and summary in your meta data.  I’ve done that, but it unfortunately hasn’t worked yet for me.  Let me know if you get it to work.

Posted: 01 September 2009 05:53 PM   [ # 2 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
15 posts

bump

Posted: 01 September 2009 10:38 PM   [ # 3 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
530 posts

Hey guys,

I have got this to work using the information from the http://www.facebook.com/share_partners.php page.  My experience is that it takes some time to gather the correct meta information if you have tried to use the link prior to adding the meta.  In otherwords, if you tried to set it up without the following code, it defaults to the original information for a period of time.  After awhile, the fb link seemed to connect with the proper meta.

This is what I have used for the meta info.

{exp:weblog:entries weblog="main_weblog" limit="1" disable="member_data|trackbacks|pagination"}
<meta name="title" content="{title}" />
<
meta name="description" content="{exp:html_strip}{exp:word_limit total="50"}{content}{/exp:word_limit}{/exp:html_strip}" />
<
link rel="image_src" href="{post_image}" />
{/exp:weblog:entries} 

This probably isn’t anything new for you, but it is what worked for me!

Jesse

Posted: 02 September 2009 11:45 AM   [ # 4 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
15 posts

Thanks Jesse. I saw the share partners page I just wasn’t sure how to implement it.
You rock.

Posted: 28 November 2009 12:06 AM   [ # 5 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
474 posts
Jesse Schutt - 02 September 2009 02:38 AM

Hey guys,

I have got this to work using the information from the http://www.facebook.com/share_partners.php page.  My experience is that it takes some time to gather the correct meta information if you have tried to use the link prior to adding the meta.  In otherwords, if you tried to set it up without the following code, it defaults to the original information for a period of time.  After awhile, the fb link seemed to connect with the proper meta.

This is what I have used for the meta info.

{exp:weblog:entries weblog="main_weblog" limit="1" disable="member_data|trackbacks|pagination"}
<meta name="title" content="{title}" />
<
meta name="description" content="{exp:html_strip}{exp:word_limit total="50"}{content}{/exp:word_limit}{/exp:html_strip}" />
<
link rel="image_src" href="{post_image}" />
{/exp:weblog:entries} 

This probably isn’t anything new for you, but it is what worked for me!

Jesse

I need to revisit this. i am not sure how to implement the above code with the original facebook share code below. can someone give me an idea of how the two work together?

<a name="fb_share" type="icon_link" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Facebook</a>[removed][removed] 

Posted: 28 November 2009 02:45 AM   [ # 6 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
46 posts

Hey, I have also tried this.. and it works on the permalink, but i can’t get it to work on the main blog

any suggestions?

Posted: 30 November 2009 09:44 PM   [ # 7 ]   [ Rating: 0 ]
530 posts

Someone might correct me, but I think you need to have the “share on facebook” link on a single entry page, as it is gathering the information from the meta tags in the head section of the code.