CodeIgniter comes with an "Auto-load" feature that permits libraries, helpers, and models to be initialized automatically every time the system runs. If you need certain resources globally throughout your application you should consider auto-loading them for convenience.
The following items can be loaded automatically:
- Core classes found in the "libraries" folder
- Helper files found in the "helpers" folder
- Custom config files found in the "config" folder
- Language files found in the "system/language" folder
- Models found in the "models" folder
To autoload resources, open the application/config/autoload.php file and add the item you want loaded to the autoload array. You'll find instructions in that file corresponding to each type of item.
Note: Do not include the file extension (.php) when adding items to the autoload array.